Advanced Search

How Would You Attack This Blade?

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies How Would You Attack This Blade?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    NorCalQ
    Participant
    • Topics: 42
    • Replies: 113

I just got this Ganzo FH61 and I’m wondering just how I’m going to sharpen it.  I’m not real concerned about maintaining the exact apex of the “curve” of the belly, so I’m thinking about just mounting it up like it had a rounded belly.  My strokes will follow the edge like usual, which may end up rounding over that belly apex.

Thoughts?Screen-Shot-2020-01-27-at-10.59.35-AM

Attachments:
    MarcH
    • Topics: 59
    • Replies: 2020

That’s a nice looking knife, especially at an inexpensive price point.  The combination of these different edge profiles and angles adds to the interesting quality of this EDC knife.  IMO, to ignore the edge break and round it over as if it was a long continuous belly takes away from the character, interest and function of this knife.

Without holding it is my hands and physically trying to clamp this knife myself, I can only guess and suggest that I would try to clamp it in a manner that would allow me to sharpen the heel most blade portion alone, as a single blade.  Then I’d reclamp the knife, if necessary, treating the tip or tanto-similar portion again as if it was a separate knife.  This would hopefully allow me to maintain and accentuate this edge profile break.

The large incorporated recasso or sharpening choil should eliminate sharpening difficulties at the edge’s heel portion.  As for where and how I’d clamp this knife with it’s squared spine integral thumb hole, without having it, holding it, and trying it, it’s difficult to exactly say. On a first attempt, I’d try to clamp it across the flattened spine portion around the integral thumb hole.  The upper blade sides just below the spine would be my second choice clamp position to try.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-It)

NorCalQ
    Participant

Thanks for the help.  You’re right as usual and I should do everything I can to maintain that blade shape.  Actually, my normal procedure is to sharpen in sections anyways, so that might work to this blade’s advantage.  As you said, clamping will be a concern, as there are a lot of surfaces there.  It really is a beautiful D2 blade and at a price that will reduce some of the anxiety I will have with my first strokes.

MarcH
    • Topics: 59
    • Replies: 2020

My sharpening advice here is the same as I would share with you.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-It)

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 35
    • Replies: 1893

I go with the principle of keeping the factory blade shape.

I would try to clamp the blade with the vise on the “thumbhole” area, with the “belly” of the forward section mounted high and relatively horizontal, with the straight heel section at about 30 degrees on a rising slope. From here, you can work both sections independently.  Take care to not round over the point of convergence between the two section.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 3 days ago by tcmeyer.
    NorCalQ
    Participant

Good advice.  I def going to attempt to keep that factory edge shape.  I guess that’s what attracted me to the knife in the first place, so you’re both right…I should keep it.  Thanks.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.