Advanced Search

How to sharpen a 5/16” thick blade in Gen 3 clamp?

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Task Specific Knife Sharpening How to sharpen a 5/16” thick blade in Gen 3 clamp?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Scott Miller
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 4

I purchased the thick blade clamp (1/4”) but still can’t fit a Cold Steel Kukri in the system for a fresh edge…any advice?  My cursory search yielded no answers for this sharpening system.

Attachments:
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Scott Miller, welcome to the Wicked Edge Forum.  I imagine you’re unhappy and disgusted right now, thinking this expensive knife sharpener is pretty useless.  I’m sorry to share the reality of this, with you.  All the different Wicked Edge models do have their limitations, specifications and ranges of use.  As you discovered the 1/4″ (wide jaw) accessory set are exactly as named.  Knife thickness limitations is one of the few shortcoming for the Gen 3 vise design for the W.E. models that use it, (e.g., WE130, Gen 3 Pro, and Commercial Series).  In reality, thinner knives than 1/4″ are the majority for knife designs.

If you will be sharpening thick bladed implements on any sort of regular basis, the “Standard Vise” model like the WE120 is more practical in that situation.  Even still, when using a W.E. standard vise model, you may need to acquire and change out the included vise hardware with longer screws to accommodate those thicker knives or even hatchetts and axes.

For your situation, owning and using the Gen 3 Pro, you may be able to acquire, (if you don’t already have it), the W.E. low angle adapter, LAA.  The adapter is also a two piece “standard vise” design.  You may need to do the same thing I mentioned in the previous paragraph, that would be substitute the standard included screws with longer screws that would allow you to expand the LAA wide enough to accommodate and clamp your thick, 5/16″, Kukri knife.

Another suggestion I can offer is you may be able to acquire and use a “Tormek small knife holder”.   This grasps knives by their handles.  Both of these suggested adapters, (LAA and Tormek) hold the knives offset, then that unit is clamped in your W.E. Gen 3 Pro vise.  The large size, the weight and balance of the thick knife may not be ideal for these adapters.  These adapters are not ideal for the Kukri.

Most of us do acquire and find the LAA and the Tormek Small Knife Holder a practical  and useful accessory to have in our sharpening kits. If you will be sharpening thick implements regularly it’d probably be useful to invest in a second W.E. sharpener, the WE120.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Scott Miller
    Participant

Thank you for the rapid reply!

the system is absolutely amazing on all my other blades, so definitely happy with the new sharpener…just one limitation thus far and I can live with that👍🏼

1 user thanked author for this post.
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Scott:  You might ask WE if they would sell you a Gen 1 vise as a separate part.  It’s a minor bit of hassle to change vises, unless you have the Gen 3 Pro, which would require removing the entire top plate assembly.

Before the WE130 came out, I upgraded my Gen 1 system to the new Gen 3 vise.  This left me with the extra Gen 1 vise, so I bought a separate base from a forum member and made a replacement for the blue WE base out of ABS and bought a length of 5/16″ key stock to make a new degree-bar.  After a little drilling and tapping, I now had two systems and I had only to switch the rod assemblies to move to the other style vise – less than a minute.  There are occasional situations where one vise is more convenient than the other.

Scott Miller
    Participant

Thank you!

I do in fact have the Gen 3 Pro, so I thought I might try the small blade adapter with longer screws…but your idea will work if mine fails.

Scott Miller
    Participant

I didn’t mean “small blade adapter” but rather the “Low Angle Adapter”

☺️

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.