Advanced Search

How to load sprays on strops?

Recent Forums Main Forum Stropping How to load sprays on strops?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

How do you load sprays on new strops? How many squirts does it take? Does the spray soak in or do you need to rub it around like paste? With cost of some sprays I figured I would ask before trying.

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

I’ve only loaded mine a few times. I very carefully squirt three small spots on the “roo”. Basically dividing in three? It floats just long enough to use my finger to spread it evenly on the strop and all of a sudden it will just soak in. I have tried letting it sit for a day after applying and using after a few minutes after applying and I can not tell a difference?

Johpe
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 71

I found this YouTube video a while back, but judging from the comments some people (as always) have another idea of how it’s supposed to be done. And I’m sure you will get a lot of other great suggestions here.

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

I just do a quick spray from one end to the other (1 pump) then one the other way, then I’ll lightly hit any area that looks like I missed. So maybe 3 sprays total. I don’t rub it in. After that, I’ll just touch it up occasionally with one quick spray across the entire strop. I let them sit a few minutes before using.

Ken Schwartz
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 90

While I do appreciate the enthusiasm in the video, it’s not how I would recommend using my sprays. Curtis’ approach is much more like it. The only advantage [to me] of using the technique is that you will be using my products more quickly and reordering more 🙂

Put the paddle down on some background – not up in the air overspraying the entire area with abrasive including the table and the WE itself. Put the two paddles next to each other.

Select the grit you wish to apply. Lightly spray the leather. Just a couple of pumps is more than enough. Let dry. DON’T use an ungloved hand, even a washed hand to smear it around. You will get abrasive all over your fingers and dirt from your hands on the strop. You aren’t smearing chunky peanut butter, you are making a thin layer of 25 nanometer particles and few hands are washed down to 25 nanometer cleanliness. Let it dry. Want another coat? Spray again. Use smooth strokes, not spastic jerks back and forth. One pump in one direction, another in the other direction. Maybe a third spritz. Let dry and enjoy. If you don’t get a PERFECT even coat – DON”T WORRY about it! Over time with subsequent reloads this will even out.

Don’t let your obsessiveness get the better of you. You know who I’m talking about. ALL of us have a perfectionistic streak of we wouldn’t be talking about getting great near perfect edges.

Let dry and do other side, laying it on a clean disposable surface to catch overspray.

TIP – Use copy paper or a similar surface to catch the overspray – or something nicer. Then use that oversprayed paper as a freehand strop or for a fingerstone type of polish on curved surfaces of the knife.

AS an update, I now have an emulsion formulation for many of my popular CBN and Diamond grits. With these products, for a WE sized strop, I recommend applying 1 drop on the paddle and smearing it around quickly with a gloved finger for a few seconds to even it out (within reason). No overspray at all it’s like applying a skin conditioner. Wear a disposable glove or else it will absorb into your hand rather than the leather and it won’t spread as far. It absorbs rapidly and is available for use almost immediately. It also works on nanocloth, felt and other leathers, but the best is on Kangaroo. Nanocloth requires a heavier application but produces a significantly heavier coating due to reduced ability to spread on nanocloth. This can be an advantage.

Available in a wide range of grit sizes in polycrystalline CBN and soon in monocrystalline diamond emulsions. Additionally in a few sizes of Aluminum oxide too.

CBN grits from 80 microns to 0.1 microns – 80 45 30 15 9 4 2 1.5 1 0.75 0.50 0.25 0.125 and 0.1 microns.

Poly diamond in 0.025 0.050 0.1 0.25 0.5 1.0 2.0 4.0 microns.

Mono – please contact me for details.

I can sell these in the regular 2 oz bottles or sell small amounts in syringes if you want a ‘taste’.

Clay has tried the 0.1 micron CBN. So far I have only gotten positive reviews from early users of these emulsions.

To be clear, I am NOT discontinuing the slurry formulations. These emulsions are an additional series of products.

Ken

Mono – please contact me for details.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.