Advanced Search

How Small a Knife Can You Sharpen? – Examples

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Tips for Specific Knife Grinds and Styles How Small a Knife Can You Sharpen? – Examples

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    Mario Contino
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 4

Would the riser and arms of the Pro Pack 2 upgrade be able to allow shallower angles on a smaller blade? On a GEC’s pen knife, the lowest it can go is about 20-21, and was hoping the riser would help bring it below 19 without completely grinding off the corners of the clamps.

I’m thinking it wouldn’t help much, since the clamp itself is in the same spot relative to the blade, at which point I was looking at the other clamp option, the low angle adapter.

I’d rather not buy both of them for the sake of trying, but I have some SAK blades I’d like to do at a shallower angle, primarily the pruner and electrician blades.

Just quoting for a bump. Anyone have some advice? 🙂

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Anyone have some advice? 🙂

Sure. If you want lower angles, go for the Low Angle Adapter.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Would the riser and arms of the Pro Pack 2 upgrade be able to allow shallower angles on a smaller blade? On a GEC’s pen knife, the lowest it can go is about 20-21, and was hoping the riser would help bring it below 19 without completely grinding off the corners of the clamps.

I’m thinking it wouldn’t help much, since the clamp itself is in the same spot relative to the blade, at which point I was looking at the other clamp option, the low angle adapter.

I’d rather not buy both of them for the sake of trying, but I have some SAK blades I’d like to do at a shallower angle, primarily the pruner and electrician blades.

You also might want to take a look at Tormek’s Small Knife Adapter that I mentioned in the first page of this thread.

Daniel maloon
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 209

Small Swiss army knife-pp2
    You can sharpen down to 14.5dps /strop at 12.5dps if wanted.
    Homemade, i still have to shave a bit off to get to the heel and paint it to look kinda cool. I like it over my tormek small knife holder already. :
    No handle compression or rotation.

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Small Swiss army knife-pp2
    You can sharpen down to 14.5dps /strop at 12.5dps if wanted.
    Homemade, i still have to shave a bit off to get to the heel and paint it to look kinda cool. I like it over my tormek small knife holder already. :
    No handle compression or rotation.

Dan, what is that accessory you are using? That’s great! Wonderful innovation

Daniel maloon
    Participant

Thanks man, thats my fly making vise! Haha. Just kidding
    Shoot me a pm Josh if you want ill make you one

jim
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 19

I’ll buy one too. Please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daniel maloon
    Participant

Sure jim, im taking off soon until the end of july. Ill start when i get back. If anyone wants one or one those scissor clamps just pm me and ill get back to you.

Josh
    Participant

pm sent!

Daniel maloon
    Participant

Alright. Ill start when i get back. In the meantime what do you guys think of something like this to free up the handspace/movement for straights? Gets to 4.5dps. Painted black just to look cool haha -dont mind tthe actual ” razor” or screws

Josh
    Participant

Looks great Dan! ingenious! did you fabricate the vise yourself?

Daniel maloon
    Participant

Thanks man i wouldnt say ingenious but appreciate it. Yep, i made that. You almost had me writting a page long reply which i just erased lol. The end result is to have 4 attachments that are interchangeable that help fill in the holes for me. Maybe 1 additional off the wall one too

Josh
    Participant

Thanks man i wouldnt say ingenious but appreciate it. Yep, i made that. You almost had me writting a page long reply which i just erased lol. The end result is to have 4 attachments that are interchangeable that help fill in the holes for me. Maybe 1 additional off the wall one too

you should get with clay in reference to designing/making prototypes of some of his new ideas… =)

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Wow. That looks great! 4.5 dps, wow! Have you sharpened any larger knives in it or is it specifically for straight razors?

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Daniel maloon
    Participant

Thanks mark. Imade it just for straight razors because i was having problems with my hand or paddles hitting the vise while i was doing the heel of the razor.its made from thick stock so it could be clamped down tightly without bending. For knives i use the W.E. low angle adapter. Heres the first one that came out really nice but i forgot to off center the vise.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.