Advanced Search

How Small a Knife Can You Sharpen? – Examples

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Tips for Specific Knife Grinds and Styles How Small a Knife Can You Sharpen? – Examples

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

This question comes up occasionally, so how about a “How small a knife can you sharpen?” with examples thread.

Post the knife, a brief description, a photo if you can showing it mounted, the angle sharpened at, the dimensions, and any notes.

Here’s an example:

Small “Swiss Army” knife (generic)
    Sharpened at 22 deg.
    Blade Length 1.3″ Height .230″
    Clamped as high as possible

Attachments:
    Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

Thanks for posting. Is 22 degrees your choice or the acutest angle possible with this knife? I have several like this.

cbwx34
    Participant

22 comfortable… 21 maybe 20 if I had messed with using a shorter screw, making sure I was as high as I could, etc. But easily cleared everything at 22.

Edit: p.s. On these style knives, you usually don’t need to go much lower anyway. 🙂

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

Most of these are FFG. Did you use anything to (moleskin, puffy tape) to keep centering even? Looking at the photo of the vice I don’t see where there would be room. Does it clamp up evenly?

cbwx34
    Participant

It clamped no problem… I don’t think there’s enough taper in this small a blade to be an issue. I didn’t use anything (tape etc.) to hold it.

Bill Sutherland
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 31

I have some carving knives that most carvers sharpen at 12/13 degrees. I’m encouraged to see these small knives, about the size of my carvers.

cbwx34
    Participant

Tormek came out with a Small Knife Holder, that I thought, “Hey, this might work on the WE”. So I snagged one to try. Here it is setup with the knife I posted earlier in this thread…

It worked! I was able to hit about 14 deg. per side without any fuss (on a PP2 setup). It’s designed primarily for single blade carving knives, so it might require some fiddling if, for example, you wanted to sharpen a small blade that wasn’t centered with the handle.

Has potential, so thought I’d mention it… if you do a lot of knives of this type, might be worth it! 🙂

Attachments:
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Wow! That’s a great device! Can you tell us how well it works? Particularly, is it stable enough in conjunction with the WEPS vise (no wiggling)?

Would it be possible to post some more pictures of it, particularly of the “inside” of the knife holder? I am curious how it can hold any (?) type of knife handle in such a way that it the knife is stable and that the blade is completely centered.

And now I think of it, wouldn’t it be possible to devise vise insert that holds knife handles rather than knife blades? That would be the ultimate solution for ppl wanting to sharpen their blades at angles much lower than 13 degrees.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Definitely possible Mark. I’ve been devising such a device for a couple of years, just haven’t gotten it completed. Curtis has seen some of the drawings. If a lot of people think they’d like to see it developed, I’ll push ahead with it, assuming I don’t run foul of any intellectual property of Tormec’s.

-Clay

cbwx34
    Participant

Wow! That’s a great device! Can you tell us how well it works? Particularly, is it stable enough in conjunction with the WEPS vise (no wiggling)?

It’s stable… no wiggling at least on small knives. I did stick a bigger knife in it, and it didn’t wiggle, although you start having interference, for exmaple the stones will now hit the handle at lower angles.

Would it be possible to post some more pictures of it, particularly of the “inside” of the knife holder? I am curious how it can hold any (?) type of knife handle in such a way that it the knife is stable and that the blade is completely centered.

Basically, it’s shaped like a ‘V’, then when you tighten it, a strap pulls the knife into the V. Works better than I thought it would when I first looked at it. It has a mark to try and line the blade up vertically (see the instructions), but it’s pretty easy to just eyeball it

And now I think of it, wouldn’t it be possible to devise vise insert that holds knife handles rather than knife blades? That would be the ultimate solution for ppl wanting to sharpen their blades at angles much lower than 13 degrees.

I’ve thought of this too, and actually tried it. On a very small knife you can get away with it, but you start coming across other issues… the interference I mentioned above, plus the fact you lose the ability to adjust the knife horizontally… which then brings up “bevel width” issues as you approach the tip, etc. Probably could be designed around though.

Attachments:
    Bill Sutherland
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 31

Where can you purchase these?

cbwx34
    Participant

Where can you purchase these?

Amazon had them, I called around, all about the same price. They’re selling like hotcakes, I called and talked to the company, so you might have to wait for the next shipment.

Edit: It looks like Steve at Sharpening Made Easy might have them too… I’ve dealt with Steve before, he’s a good guy.

TrlSeeker
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 12

This is a really exciting device for those troublesome little guys! How repeatable is the setup? Can you get the knife set in there exactly the same spot each time, or is there some guessimation?

cbwx34
    Participant

This is a really exciting device for those troublesome little guys! How repeatable is the setup? Can you get the knife set in there exactly the same spot each time, or is there some guessimation?

Good questions. Haven’t gotten that far, but it doesn’t seem like it would be too difficult to come up with a way of documenting how you set it to repeat the results.

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

Curtis,
    You seem to like it so I thought oh what the heck? So mine is on the way. Takes 6-9 days just to ship? But I figure it will be a fun new tool to add in? Now those pesky little blades will be Wicked Sharp!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.