Advanced Search

How not to reach for your angle cube!

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies How not to reach for your angle cube!

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    BassLake Dan
    Participant
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 110

… was thinking of getting one for use with my oyster knife.

that’s very interesting. are you talking about an oyster shucking tool ? if so, they are really more a screw-driver than a knife. in that case the glove is more to protect your hand against the oysters shell, which has many grainy points across its surface. after shucking a couple of dozen you will really know the meaning of “hot spots” :cheer:

If we are talking about the classic oyster tools here then there is a whole technology and science and a number of engineered products to protect yourself against ‘screw driver stabs”, like what you might self inflict with that instrument. Kevlar is only one (and a poor) solution to the problem: other designs are based on the physical properties of a material most of use are familiar with as kids, and that is ‘silly-putty’. static agglomeration of particles under pressure from the behavior of non-Newtonian fluids is actually quite fascinating and is the mechanism that makes these stab proof garments work; if you are a materials science junkie like I am then check out this link

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

No, I was talking about the “classic” oyster tool, so I need something to protect me against stabbing. In fact, I was considering to get this oyster knife, but I eventually didn’t get it, since it is *really* sharp. The thought of stabbing myself with that one… brrr.

I just ordered a kevlar glove, so I’ll let you know how well it works against cuts and stabs.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

BassLake Dan
    Participant
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 110

No, I was talking about the “classic” oyster tool, so I need something to protect me against stabbing. ..
    I just ordered a kevlar glove, so I’ll let you know how well it works against cuts and stabs.

Great! Let me know how you like your Kevlar Glove.. About the oyster knifes, I think it must depend on what species of oysters you have. I look at that knife that your linke to and, to be honest, I have never seen one like that out here where we are in the USAs Pacific Northwest. I spend many happy days on the Oregon Coast each summer, and of course oysters are ‘da-bomb’ out here. I shuck the ones I eat, they are live, and maybe that makes a difference, but no sharp tool is required. I use one of these

and the “professional shuckers” at places like this use the same type of dull screwdriver type tool. I have watched them shuck hundreds and hundreds an hour at tables like this and never have observed anyone sharpening the tool.

OysterFarmsYaquina_River, Newport Oregon

Shucking Table:

Robert Nash
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 164

I too look forward to hearing how it works for you to protect against cuts. Like Zig and Dennis I would not like to work in them as I also feel the blade a lot during my work, but for some people they may work great…

Jamie Baldwin
    Participant
    • Topics: 6
    • Replies: 31

Maybe this will help answer some questions about the gloves… and a few other things

https://justnet.org/standards/glovescpl.html

http://www.nij.gov/topics/technology/body-armor/compliant-stab-armor.htm

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

This is a great thread. I’ve been doing some research too – it looks like gloves that meet the EN388 LEVEL 5 standard should probably work. I’ve just ordered a set and will do some rigorous testing on them when they come in.

-Clay

Jerry Stephenson
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 15

I’ve been sharpening knives for 40 years, razor sharp, with various stones and accessories and never cut myself appreciably. This morning I cut myself in almost the same place you did reaching around the knife to move the arm as I was about to take it out of the vice. Not nearly as deep but not good.

I think the problem is in the knife pointing away from you at the low angle to your eyesight makes it error likely to work around because of depth perception.

I sharpened 2 more knives today with the knife pointing toward me and I like that better. Don’t anticipate any more cuts. Also makes it easier for me to work the tip.

–Jerry

Dennis Hibar
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 99

That’s interesting. Please follow-up at some point. I’d like to know if you like your results long term. It would seem that doing it that way would limit the type of strokes you do with the paddles (would be tougher to do forward sweeping strokes) and if you did do those forward sweeping movements, debris would be more likely to get into the handle/pivot area of the knife (if a folding knife) unless well-covered. Anyway, stitches came out yesterday. Wound not completely sealed yet (that’s a darn difficult area not to move around during daily activity!). Regardless, all is fine …. full range of motion with the thumb and no telltale signs of any nerve damage. And, as I said before …. I’ve learned my lesson …. for sure, this time!!

Jerry Stephenson
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 15

I just do the sweeping stroke toward me. Not a problem once you get used to it. But I often work on the knife in two halves anyway working each end twoard the middle.

Edwin Lurvey
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 80

Ouch! I have a scar on my forearm a couple inches above my wrist, so people think I am a cutter LOL.

Just like reloading, make sure your kids and signifcant others leave you alone when sharpening. My wife walked in and said hey honey, I turned and a few minutes later I realized my pants were covered in blood. It was a cheapie 420ss Gerber, and it opened me up deep and I didnt even feel it. Hair splitting sharp.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.