Advanced Search

How I deliver knives that I've sharpened

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpening as a Business How I deliver knives that I've sharpened

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Allgonquin
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 51

I’m not actively promoting my sharpening locally, but I put up a Facebook page, and I’ve run some ads in the local pennysaver, so I have a steady trickle of customers. Many just bring their knives to me wrapped in newspaper or in a shopping bag.  I’ve never really had a good method for returning their knives to them.  I wanted something secure but cheap, and I’m too cheap to order sleeves for the blades.

I just dreamed up this method and it seems to work well.  Our local grocery store uses paper handle bags.  I cut down one corner/edge and cut the bottom out, and then wrap the knives tips up in the cut open bag to form a roll.  Tape the edge to hold the wrapped roll closed, and then tape up the bottom then you have a nice wrap with a handle.

You can get quite a few knives in one wrap.  I just did 14 for a guy this weekend and I used two wraps.

Attachments:
    2 users thanked author for this post.
    tuffy braithwaite
    Participant
    • Topics: 184
    • Replies: 360

i use similar type wine bag, but with sm. rope like handle and i used knife sleeves from use knife makers……….come in 18″ and 9″ different widths

Attachments:
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I use the same knife sleeves as Tuffy.  I’ve found that the customers (I don’t charge for sharpening) decide to use the sleeves for all of their knives.  I think that banging around against other knives in a drawer does more damage than normal cutting use.  Not to mention the safety aspect.

http://usaknifemaker.com/knife-sleeves-18-length-variety-pack-1-1-4-1-75-and-2-5-sleeves.html

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Pinkfloyd
    Participant
    • Topics: 22
    • Replies: 208

I use carboard folded and painters tape, also paper towel tubes cut and folded with painters tape

Cimo
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 3

I had the same issues and found a product made by CapPlugs that works great for me. It’s call Edge Guard and used mainly for protecting the edges of sheet metal (from people getting cut). The part number I used was EGL22-4. I bought it through McMaster Carr, their part number is 86875K46. The cost is        $ .70 per ft. under 100 ft 0r $ .54 per ft. over 100 ft. Myself, I bought 100 foot and put it on every knife I sharpen for piece of mind for both blade and people protection. I have no association with McMaster Carr other than  a happy customer. They are not the cheapest outfit in town, but they do have hard to find items (like the edge guard).

Note there are two different types of edge guard in one photo. The white one is the edge guard I mentioned above. The black also works, but is harder to get on the blade therefore I do not recommend that style.

Here are a couple of photos of the edge guard:

IMG_1379r
    IMG_1392r
    Edge-Guardr

Attachments:
    1 user thanked author for this post.
    tuffy braithwaite
    Participant

I had the same issues and found a product made by CapPlugs that works great for me. It’s call Edge Guard and used mainly for protecting the edges of sheet metal (from people getting cut). The part number I used was EGL22-4. I bought it through McMaster Carr, their part number is 86875K46. The cost is $ .70 per ft. under 100 ft 0r $ .54 per ft. over 100 ft. Myself, I bought 100 foot and put it on every knife I sharpen for piece of mind for both blade and people protection. I have no association with McMaster Carr other than a happy customer. They are not the cheapest outfit in town, but they do have hard to find items (like the edge guard). Note there are two different types of edge guard in one photo. The white one is the edge guard I mentioned above. The black also works, but is harder to get on the blade therefore I do not recommend that style. Here are a couple of photos of the edge guard:

pretty nice guards…..i likem.

for about three years i bought my sleeves from safety products in maine or mass………they came in different lengths……….the ones from use knife come in 9″ or 18″ and that is a great length…….you get 2 to 4 or more from 1 sleeve……..nice

cost is based only the number you buy…..below is based of lots of 50 each.

2.5″ x 18………    .47…………1.75″……..   .40 ……….1.4″………   .39  …………..1″………  .38

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

We’re looking into making our own knife edge guards here. Someone, who’s name is escaping me suggested it and it seems like a good idea. Once we get up and running, we’ll post about it.

-Clay

tuffy braithwaite
    Participant

We’re looking into making our own knife edge guards here. Someone, who’s name is escaping me suggested it and it seems like a good idea. Once we get up and running, we’ll post about it.

i remember back in 2013 or 14  it came up then………would be great to have WE logo………:)………..

also these 18″ models are really nice since we can get fro 2 to 6 knives per sleeve.

thanks

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.