Advanced Search

How do you Shim your WE Vice?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

What do you shim your WE vice with? I have most often heard pieces of shammy cloth and foam (puffy) double sided poster tape.

Do you shim every time?

What do you use for knives that don’t have full, square spine? (e.g. full flat ground, or partially square spines)

Do you shim or use tape, etc. to protect the knife from scratches? (even if it’s not needed for stability)?

Fred Hermann
    Participant
    • Topics: 30
    • Replies: 188

I use masking tape. I also use some old leather bits for really oddball shapes. So far masking tape works very well.

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

I don’t use anything on regular knives. On FFG knives I tried the foam tape, but it didn’t seem to work well for me, so I cut some strips from a thin leather work glove, that worked well. I’ve also used nothing… just pay attention that it’s center in the clamp before tightening.

A knife for someone else I sometimes tape (blue painter’s tape), just to make me feel better. 🙂

Xbander
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 68

I use the blue painter’s tape on every knife. I took a old credit card, cut it in half and wrap the painter tape around it. This way it takes up no room in my case and it is plenty to use as I need it. If I am forming a new edge with the 50/80 or 100/200 grid I will often use the painter tape over the knife pivot to keep it clean. The blue tape is easy to work with, leaving little to no clean up when you remove it.

This is a good subject look forward to others ideas, Thanks for starting it:)

Robert Nash
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 164

What do you shim your WE vice with? I have most often heard pieces of shammy cloth and foam (puffy) double sided poster tape.

Do you shim every time?

What do you use for knives that don’t have full, square spine? (e.g. full flat ground, or partially square spines)

Do you shim or use tape, etc. to protect the knife from scratches? (even if it’s not needed for stability)?

I normally use shammy for shimming flat grounds etc and to protect finishes – I wrap the spine and trim off excess after it is clamped. Occasionally I’ll use painters tape for protection of the finish if chamois makes the vise to wide for the sharpening angle. I don’t use it all the time – only for stability or protection.

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

I forgot to add… I don’t always remember, (and it hasn’t seemed a big deal) but I sometimes wrap saran wrap around the pivot of folders, to keep any debris out.

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

Great idea. I was concerned about protecting the knife from scratches if the stone accidentally got too close. But this also makes good sense. I am planning to get magnets to collect the steel dust. This makes more sense. Super fine steel dust can’t be good for the pivot. :ohmy:

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.