Advanced Search

How Best To Load Emulsions?

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Abrasives How Best To Load Emulsions?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    NorCalQ
    Participant
    • Topics: 54
    • Replies: 149

I’m getting my first emulsions and want to know the best way to load and maintain the leather/emulsion strops.  Thanks for the help.

airscapes
    Participant
    • Topics: 18
    • Replies: 367

You spray (I use the word loosely more like squirt, shake well before using) it on in 3 spots, rub it evenly over the leather and let it dry.  It can help to mist the leather with alcohol before applying.    Once you start using them the carrier will come off leaving the   diamond grit is embedded in the leather.. The leather will eventually get black and shiny as the strops are used.  You will probably end up taking chunks out of a couple of them, most of us do in the begging WE sells replacement leather and as long as the chunks are not too deep they don’t hurt anything to keep using them.   When the strop gets really black I will clean them with Alcohol and reapply the emulsion if it has been a long while..  You want to keep the strops from touching each other so as not to cross contaminate the grits..  Plastic bags can work or I make plastic covers that slide on to keep them from touching each other if stored together.  https://knife.wickededgeusa.com/forums/topic/strop-covers-fit-old-and-new-handles/

Good luck with this new part of the process, it takes time and you will probably end up rolling your first few edges making them dull. Use a bright flash light to monitor the the bevel from above, any shiny spots that show up, will mean you rounded the edge and have to drop back to stones to repair it.

There are some major thread on stropping so do some reading and experiment to find what works best for you.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    NorCalQ
    Participant
    • Topics: 54
    • Replies: 149

Thanks.  Been using leather strops for a while, just not with the emulsions.  I’m looking forward to it.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.