Advanced Search

hollow grind

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat hollow grind

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Alva summerall
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 6

can you file a hollow grind with the wicked edge?

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant
    • Topics: 64
    • Replies: 687

can you file a hollow grind with the wicked edge?

You certainly can mate. The hollow grind is the way the blade has been ground, but you will be working only on the very edge. You can put whatever apex on the edge that you like.
    I ran into a similar problem with my full convex ground blades…I wanted to put a different edge on instead of a convex edge and I did. No problem. You can do the same with your hollow ground blade. I have a Buck 110 and it is hollow ground…I put my own edge on, no difficulty. 😉

Leo

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

You may want to take a look at the video in which Clay sharpens a Sebenza, which has a hollow ground.

Clay puts a convex edge on top of this hollow ground primary bevel, which is what the Sebenza originally has.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Alva summerall
    Participant
    • Replies: 6

ty for your replay but i know you can shapen a knife with a hollow grind what i am asking is can you use the wick edge to put a hollow grind on a knife

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

ty for your replay but i know you can shapen a knife with a hollow grind what i am asking is can you use the wick edge to put a hollow grind on a knife

Good question. I don’t believe there is a way to put a hollow grind on a knife with the Wicked Edge.

-Clay

Ken Schwartz
    Participant
    • Replies: 90

Just thinking out loud here, buy you could round off or shape the END of a stone with a coarse diamond plate to the desired radius of a concave grind, lock the stone handle in place and do sweeps only along the blade’s edge. I wouldn’t recommend the effort however as ultimately the ANGLE at the edge of the edge is the critical parameter and you would get an unnecessarily delicate edge. You are ultimately limited in how acute the final edge is on your blade by the steel’s capacity to take an acute edge. For concave grinds the opposite side of the concavity limits the sharpening angle unless the abrasive surface is round / convex, like a grinding wheel. And here, you would ideally want a wheel of the same diameter as the radii of the concave surface.

If you look at a traditional Japanese Straight razor (kamasori), it has two concave sides, yet the final bevels are ground flat on both sides. Same with Western style straight razors. It is a pretty firmly established concept. This is also true with concave ground pocket knives, eg a Jess Horn Spyderco ZDP-189 blade or a Gayle Bradley Spyderco CPM-M4 blade.

For a Japanese traditional single bevel kitchen knife the back of the blade is also hollow ground. But this hollow back or urasaki is ALSO ground flat along the rim of the concavity. There is a pattern here in how one handles a concave shaped blade with a flat grind for the final edge. Same with Japanese chisels too.

Ken

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.