Advanced Search

Hogue EX-4

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    David Hill
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 38

Does anyone know the factory angle on a Hogue EX-4? If not has anyone ever sharpened the modified warncliffe blade and what angle did you use? Thank you!

Davidghemail

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

It looks to be tough steel – bare in mind factory angles rarely exist since they are normally sharpened by hand on either a wheel or belt sander and if manufacturers quote a figure it is more than anything a sales point and will give you an approximate idea; Shuns are supposed to be 16Ëš whilst Globals are 15Ëš but it will be unlikely that they are actually these angles and Shun give you 16Ëš because it sounds more exacting than 15Ëšso take them with a pinch of salt.
    The angle you choose to sharpen will depend on what you intend to use it on if you are going to batten wood with it then you will need a high angle 25-30Ëš (like an axe) per side since it will chip otherwise . If you want an insanely sharp knife then a much lower angle 12-16Ëš that is if you are only going to use it for slice cutting .
    If after having chosen an angle and after some use you have micro chips on the blade then the angle is to shallow for the use you are putting it to; so increase the angle a little until you find the blade does not chip.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Well, I’ve got one. I wanted to post a picture of the goniometer, but that requires about 4 hands. But the angle on mine is about 22 degrees.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Leo Barr
    Participant

They are quite attractive knives I had a look at them on my browser I maintain that the angle should ideally be customised for the use that one puts it to since with the WE it would be possible to make it insanely sharp with the low angle vice if that is what the aim is ; where as if it is to be an EDC then that angle of 22Ëš which is sort of a standard folding knife angle and is reasonable durable for most daily chores -sharpening pencils, opening cardboard boxes etc.
    The same applies to upmarket Japanese chefs knives both the thinning and the cutting bevel of such knives are largely down to the users and the makers expect people to set them up for their own use .
    I think with knife angles there is no finite answer since not only does it depend on what is to be cut but also how lightly and precisely they are used which will really effect both thinning and edge bevel angles .
    I know it is different but think of the damage some people do to flat head screw drivers when used heavy handedly the same applies to knives I believe for instance a heavy handed chef is far more suited to western knives which are far more forgiving say than that of an Honyaki forged Japanese knife it would break in no time with a heavy handed user.

David Hill
    Participant

Thank you all for your input!!! Much appreciated!!!

Davidghemail

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

David,
    Long story short? I bought my Houge EX 3 from the Houge family. They report to me they are using a 23° on their knives. I am waiting for my EX 4 but was told they were back ordered 3,450 pieces and I would have to wait my turn in line.
    How do you like yours? I can’t wait to get mine! My EX 3 is my fav folder! The 154cm and their heat treat process makes my knife stay the sharpest the longest out of all my folders!!! :woohoo:

David Hill
    Participant

Thanks Eamon! Do you sharpen your EX-3 at 23 degrees then on the WEPS? I love my EX-4. I got the 3.5″ modified Warncliffe in blue lava G-mascuss. It’s a beautiful knife and very comfortable in my glove size large hands. It came with a polished blade but could not cut phone book paper. It barely made it through printer paper. Very odd that they would take the time to polish the blade but not make it sharp. 🙂 i’m going to sharpen it but want to do it at 20 degrees but dont want to make the bevel too large so i’m trying to see what the factory tries to do it at first. thanks for the info. otherwise I love my purchase and plan to buy the 4″ version soon in the black/grey/brown G-mascus. It’s a beautiful knife! You’ll love it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Leo Barr
    Participant

For those that have not looked it is a pretty knife!

David Hill
    Participant

Well, I’ve got one. I wanted to post a picture of the goniometer, but that requires about 4 hands. But the angle on mine is about 22 degrees.

Mark, have u ever sharpened yours on the WEPS? I did last night and it took about a 16th of an inch straight off the tip. It no longer has the same tip geometry. I used good technique and didn’t round the tip but I think the recurve was too much and it clipped it off. Have u had the same experience? Thanks!

Davidghemail

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

David,
    I’m sorry, I answered your question over the weekend but must have got caught it in the switch over? The Houge’s tell me that they grind to a 23°. I have tried it all the way down to 15°. They did their homework cause for me? The knife just keeps it’s best edge at 23°. With their heat treat, 154cm and heat treat it is the one knife in my folder line up that just stays sharp! I love that knife! I can’t wait to get the exact same one you have. I think the blue scales with wharnecliff blade is beautiful!

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Mark, have u ever sharpened yours on the WEPS? I did last night and it took about a 16th of an inch straight off the tip. It no longer has the same tip geometry. I used good technique and didn’t round the tip but I think the recurve was too much and it clipped it off. Have u had the same experience? Thanks!

Yes, I sharpened it on the WE and the geometry remained pretty much the same. The trick is to place the blade in the vice at the correct point. See for example here and here.

I am sorry to hear you took a piece off the tip. I think the key is to use litte pressure. Clay also did a video on sharpening tanto blades. It’s here

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

David Hill
    Participant

Thanks Mark. No worries, the knife is still functional and razor sharp! I never thought about treating it like a tanto blade. With a tanto there is a clear mark of delineation between the straight edge and the tip. With this knife, not so much, so I never thought about coming from a different sharpening angle. I believe I had it placed in the vice correctly as my bevel is very even all the way across the blade. Do you have the 3.5″ or 4″? What distance setting were you at in the vice? I will have more practice with this knife in the future as I plan on getting a few more. I love the feel in hand and the blade shape. Solid knife all around and beautiful work of art!

Davidghemail

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.