Advanced Search

Hi, Nick from Australia.

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat Hi, Nick from Australia.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Nicko
    Participant
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 53

Hi guys, I jumped straight into the forums asking questions, guess I’d better say hello.

I’m Nick, I live in beautiful Queensland Australia and I do a lot of fishing and boating. I have a few old sharpeners, a Lansky and a ceramic wheel sharpener that’s good for a quick filleting edge.

I’ve probably sharpened at least 10 knives the last few days with 100-200 400-600 800-1000 5/3.5 strops. I ran out of things to sharpen so started looking for old leathermans and pocket knives haha. I’m considering getting the 1200-1600 soon too.

My biggest learning curve is my biggest results have come from small circles, I’m cognisant of the micro-chipping dilemma but it has given me the best edge so far, I think Pelahale’s vid on youtube about not removing the stones from the blade makes sense to me but I think micro scratches all facing the same way would give a sharper blade, albeit the difference would possibly be minimal.

I have an angle cube and a 10x loupe in the mail, seems like i’m getting hooked haha. I’ve bought a spyderco cara2 for work as a cheap rope cutter, I plan to put a good working edge on it and can’t wait to sharpen it when it arrives.

Cheers to everyone that has already provided advice and posted such good threads, videos and pictures!

Nick.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Hi Nick, welcome here! I’ve lived in Australia myself and I envy you in Queensland. Great you’ve used your WEPS a lot already. Your stones should be broken in by now. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask. I think the angle cube and a loupe are very useful accessories.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.