Advanced Search

Hi from North Carolina

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat Hi from North Carolina

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Daniel Saucier
    Participant
    • Topics: 6
    • Replies: 30

Well, I’ve inherited my Dads knife obsession, I mean hobby apparently. Don’t know too many others personally who like em that much, glad to see there are others out there like us! Always had a good buck knife around, or an el cheapo pocket knife tool. My collection has grown some over the past year, along with a good 7 year old set of cooking knives (quite dull). I’m 4 knives in with the wicked edge pro pack 1 and extremely happy with the results so far. Pro pack 2 upgrade on the way. Thanks to this forum, I learned tons of info before getting started.

Which leads into my first question:

Called Wusthof, they stated the factory angle is 11 degrees per side for the Classic series Santoku, 22 inclusive. Lowest the WE will go seems around 12-13 per side with the upgrade kit. Should I just take the 50-80s and reprofile as low as it’ll go without grinding the vice?

Any info is much appreciated,
    Sauce

Cory
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 31

Welcome to the forum sauce. I have a few questions for you before I try and help you out. First are you using an angle cube and second are you sharpening from your lower vise setting or the upper? I ask both of the because in there are a few things that you can do. I know that some of the guys here raise the knife higher in the vise and mark there vise jaws. Higher as in above there upper limit holes. Others reverse there arms to where the detents are no longer a factor and they can run the arms as close in or as far out as they want. The only issues with this is you have to have an angle cube Also you have to be very careful not to hit your vise with your stones. I hope this helps a little.

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Welcome to the forum. Cory has some good tips… just a bit of additional info. The angles are calibrated for a knife that extends 5/8″ above the clamp, so if the knife is taller, then you can hit a lower angle. Also, if you do reprofile, I’d start with the 100g stones, the 50/80 are pretty aggressive and for a small reprofile on that knife, may be a bit much. If you do use them, try not to go to the very edge… switch to the 100 when you’re close.

Daniel Saucier
    Participant

Yes, I will be using the angle cube. I have not tried any mounting options with this knife yet as I’m waiting for the riser and new arms to arrive (en route as I type). Just picking your brains to get as much info before I try the reprofile. Thinking I’ll mount it in the upper vise setting, bring the arms in close and see what angle I’m hitting with the cube. If I bring the knife any higher than the standard upper vise setting, does that weaken the grip on the knife? Thanks guys for the info. I’ll start with the 100 like you suggested. Does seem like only a small amount of metal will be coming off. I was assuming 50/80 as the Santoku metal is so hard.

Sauce

Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 568

Sauce
    Mounting higher Than the upper holes is not usually a problem in keeping a firm hold on the knife. That said, you’ll have to judge for yourself. You don’t want it wobbling.

Generally, you are only applying enough pressure with the stones to stay “flat” against the edge of the knife.

Hope that helps

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Well if sauce said that the factory angle for the santoku is 11*/side, and it hasn’t been sharpened before, this wouldn’t be as much of a reprofile situation as it would be a micro bevel situation. If this is indeed the case I would recommend starting with the 600 grit stones, especially if they’re relatively new as they will still be pretty aggressive, and it would be a good opportunity to break them in anyway 🙂

Chet Parks
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 9

Hello Sauce
    In addition to all the other good advice I suggest using electrical “friction tape” (can be found in the electrical department of any hardware store) You will be suprised as to how solid it locks the knife in position with vary little pressure on the vice especially when above the top gage holes where the vice has the possibility of bending. I use it all the time on every knife.
    Chet

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Well if sauce said that the factory angle for the santoku is 11*/side, and it hasn’t been sharpened before, this wouldn’t be as much of a reprofile situation as it would be a micro bevel situation. If this is indeed the case I would recommend starting with the 600 grit stones, especially if they’re relatively new as they will still be pretty aggressive, and it would be a good opportunity to break them in anyway 🙂

GOOD CATCH! I wasn’t paying attention that you were going from a lower to a higher angle, I just saw “reprofile”. Definitely don’t start with a coarse stone…. the finer the better if this is what you end up having to do. 600 would be good, it would set a nice edge to work from. You could even go finer if you wanted.

Man, I’m glad you caught this. :ohmy: Thanks!

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Welcome to the forums, Sauce. I guess the above people already answered your questions, so just a few things that come to my mind.

11 degrees per side seems *very* steep for a traditional Wusthoff. I don’t know if you have a modern series (Japanese series or something similar that is much harder than the traditional 54-55 HRC), but 11 degrees is even a challenge on many Japanese knives. Wusthoffs I have sharpened are usually around 20 degrees per side.

Don’t know what your model is, but the bolster is usually a challenge and opnions vary. Some people prefer to include it in the sharpening (i.e. remove part of it), others leave it as it is.

Interested in some pics, cause it seems you may have some special Wusthoffs.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Daniel Saucier
    Participant

Thanks for the tip. I’ll try the friction tape. What about your full flat ground knives? Does the friction tape have any thickness to take up the space for the flat grind in the vise?

Daniel Saucier
    Participant

Mark, It’s Wusthofs version of a Japanese Santoku which are typically much harder and thinner and have quite a low angle. Here is the wikipedia for Santoku knives: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santoku
    It is the only Wusthof I own. I’ve had the Wusthof, and a standard set of JA Henkels kitchen knives for 7 years and the Wusthof held it’s edge longer than the Henkels which are 20 per side.

Sauce

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

What about your full flat ground knives? Does the friction tape have any thickness to take up the space for the flat grind in the vise?

Try some foam tape. Works really well. See the FAQ

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Ken Buzbee
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 393

11 degrees per side seems *very* steep for a traditional Wusthoff. I don’t know if you have a modern series (Japanese series or something similar that is much harder than the traditional 54-55 HRC), but 11 degrees is even a challenge on many Japanese knives. Wusthoffs I have sharpened are usually around 20 degrees per side.

That’s what I was thinking. I don’t even take my Aogami Super Blue quite that low. They are currently doing very nicely at 26° inclusive.

Ken

Daniel Saucier
    Participant

The concern from a couple folks here about such a low angle made me call Wusthof again this morning. Maybe they made an error the first time. The lady stated the same, 11 per side, 22 inclusive for a 7 year old classic series santoku. I’ll try the sharpie method to confirm it when I receive the riser and new arms (showing 1-15 delivery).

Thanks again for the tips and info.
    Sauce

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

Sauce,

I am glad you called Wusthof. Please post your results. I am not sure WE can go to 11, but I have not tried. In the end you can sharpen to any angle you want. The question is how will it hold up for your use. I am also curious how you feel the edge holds up. I have Wusthofs too, but haven’t gotten around to sharpening them on the WE and am still debate what angle to use.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.