Advanced Search

Hi Everyone!

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat Hi Everyone!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Mark
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 13

I ordered my wicked edge pro pack from Howes knife shop yesterday and it should be here tomorrow! I can’t wait to try it out. Just thought I would say hi!

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Well that’s fast! Welcome aboard, I know you’ll love it… there’s a lot of great info on these forums in addition to help. If you have any questions, look no further :). I also love the on-going research that occurs here, such as Clay’s microscopic research and BasslakeDan’s edge testing research… Hope you enjoy it and learn as much here as I have!

post pics of your first mirror edge if you get time 😉

Mark
    Participant

Thanks! And most likely I will get it out of the box, set it up, and put a knife in the clamp as soon as I get it. Also I will look around on these forums for info and other cool stuff about the WE and after I sharpen some knives I will post pics! I am only 14 and have a few good knives but I will start sharpening on my beater knives just for practice/getting through the learning curve and I will move up from there!

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant
    • Topics: 64
    • Replies: 687

Welcome Mark! 14 eh! Wow, what a coincidence, that is the age my friend and I got out first war surplus Fairbairn-Sykes commando knives. You could get them in 1949 for about 3 dollars each! That started me on my love of knives for the next 63 years. 🙂
    You are really going to love your WEPS. Take your time and be sure you raise that all important burr along the whole length of both sides of the edge with the 100 grit paddles each time you sharpen a knife for the first time withe WEPS…after that remember to brush the blade gently with the rest of the paddles and strops.A lot of pressure is not only unnecessary, but it is counterproductive. You will get sharp knives that will please you a lot.
    Best of luck my young friend and remember, there are people here to advise you whenever you are stumped.
    Very best regards
    Leo

Mark
    Participant

Cool, thanks for the tip. I have only been into knives since last October but have bought a few good quality knives (mostly spyderco). At first I was trying to decide in between a wicked edge and an edge pro, I chose the edge pro with chosera stones and I am getting really nice, hair whittling edges. Still, though, I wanted to try the WEPS because there were some things that I felt were better on the WEPS, so I got one!

Thomas Meeks
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 17

Welcome Mark! I’m a newb here myself.

I have a good selection of Spyderco knives myself (though I’m sure not as many as some).

My first “good” knife was/is a Spyderco Pacific Salt that I got for use when fishing here in Florida. That has been the best knife ever! Would you believe I’ve had it about 5 years or so now and have never sharpened it! And it’ll still cut through a 1/2″ anchor rope like its nothing! LOL I know this because I’ve had to leave a few anchors on the bottom in the last 5 years.

Anyway, I can’t wait to put a whole new razor sharp edge on it when my WEPS arrives on Tuesday.

Good luck!

Mark
    Participant

nice, the only knife in the salt series I have is the ladybug hawkbill SE salt, great little knife. I have 2 beater spydercos, a delica 4 with saber ground vg-10 and a manix 2 but the Delica is the one I use for experimenting with sharpening, so that is what I will use first along with some of my cheap knives.

Robert Nash
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 164

I ordered my wicked edge pro pack from Howes knife shop yesterday and it should be here tomorrow! I can’t wait to try it out. Just thought I would say hi!

Hi Mark – Welcome – and please don’t hesitate to throw out ideas and questions, we are all here to learn from one another and help where we can!

And – Leo didn’t use his “light as a summer breeze” – but he is right, keep it light after your coarse plates and have fun!

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant
    • Topics: 64
    • Replies: 687

Didn’t I?!!! Tsk! I meant to but this old brain just isn’t hitting on all 8 cylinders! LOL! Yup! Brush those edges with the finer grits as light as a summer breeze!
    There, now I feel better! :cheer:

Leo

{quote=”BobNash” post=3606]

Hi Mark – Welcome – and please don’t hesitate to throw out ideas and questions, we are all here to learn from one another and help where we can!

And – Leo didn’t use his “light as a summer breeze” – but he is right, keep it light after your coarse plates and have fun![/quote]D

Mark
    Participant

ok, so i have sharpened 5-6 knives and they aren’t getting very sharp… they will kinda shave hair and will cut phonebook paper ok but not near as well as when sharpened on my EP and I am doing the “light as a summer breeze” thing with the 400-3.5 strops…

Robert Nash
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 164

Didn’t I?!!! Tsk! I meant to but this old brain just isn’t hitting on all 8 cylinders! LOL! Yup! Brush those edges with the finer grits as light as a summer breeze!
    There, now I feel better! :cheer:

Leo

Whew, I feel better now too! :silly:

ok, so i have sharpened 5-6 knives and they aren’t getting very sharp… they will kinda shave hair and will cut phonebook paper ok but not near as well as when sharpened on my EP and I am doing the “light as a summer breeze” thing with the 400-3.5 strops…

There are a couple things that could be happening – two most likely:
    First, and this doesn’t happen with everyone but it can be very pronounced for some people, and from your description this sounds like what might be happening to you – your diamond plates are brand new and will take time to break in, so you’ll get sharp but not super sharp – cuts paper but no curves and maybe a snag or two. I don’t know if you have worked with diamond plates before so you probably haven’t experienced this effect. You are probably noticing quite a bit of diamond powder coming off onto your mounting base as you work. As the stones smooth, this powder will lessen and you’ll get a more refined edge. The break in time can vary from a few knives to a lot of knives (as other users will probably attest). I didn’t personally notice this effect much at all, but some of my customers have gone as many as 20 knives. I’d make sure not to rush through any of the grits as you work, just take your time on each grit and don’t progress until you don’t feel any real resistance points to the plate on the blade (at least to this point, you can go longer too to really make sure you remove most of the scratches from the previous grit). It is possible to speed the break in time some by lightly rubbing your plates together. Also, as you retouch your knives, using your recorded settings, you’ll continue to refine your edges, working out small chips and the like.
    Second option is that you aren’t quite getting out to the cutting edge with your stones. The key to getting screaming sharp is making sure you get a good solid burr raised from both sides along the full length of the blade at the coarsest grit you use.
    If you need tips on this process on the WE I’m happy to post more on that, but it really sounds like breaking in your stones is going to be the key
    Hope that helps some! Glad you are getting a chance to work with it right away!

Mark
    Participant

Wow! Thanks! Yea I’ve never worked with diamond stones just waterstones with the edge pro and yes there is a lot of dust coming off of the stones so I think all I need is a break-in and I should be good! Thanks

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

I’d make sure not to rush through any of the grits as you work, just take your time on each grit and don’t progress until you don’t feel any real resistance points to the plate on the blade (at least to this point, you can go longer too to really make sure you remove most of the scratches from the previous grit).

Thought this was worth repeating. Also, a little more time with the leather should help clean up the edge.

cbw

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

AND a gentle touch with the stones.
    If you use too much pressure with the lower grits, you just have more work to get rid of the scratches when you move up. I used to grind pretty hard when doing my profiling with the 100 and 200 grit stones (it is called impatience, especially with harder steels). It then took lots of time to get the scratches out. Using lighter strokes with the course grits, well it take longer to get a burr, but you save time in the long run.

Phil

Thomas Meeks
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 17

So how’s it coming along Mark? Any progress?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.