Advanced Search

Help! Something happened to my clamp!

Recent Forums Main Forum Getting Started Help! Something happened to my clamp!

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Pinkfloyd
    Participant
    • Topics: 22
    • Replies: 208

Clay,

Graphite’s breakdown instructions should be included in the Knowledge Base under Instructions and Maintenance

MarcH
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2731

Shortly after I received my Gen 3 Pro Vice upgrade I had  the same issue as Josh (RazorEdgeKnives) where the cam follower was sticking.  I followed Josh’s experience and disassembled the vice and smoothed the cam follower edges to eliminate the sticking.  I too lost the foam piece during that first tear down and reassembly.  Unsure where the foam belonged, I’ve used the vice without it, since then, without problems.

I do use Shapton Whetstones often.  Due to the moisture and the metal mud runoff, I have had to disassemble, clean and reassemble the vice several times to eliminate sticking jaws.  I’ve continued to use the vice without the foam piece.  I don’t think that it has contributed to my need for more frequent maintenance.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

2 users thanked author for this post.
    NickedEdge
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 53

Marc,

Remind me to ask a question about where the use of whetstones (specifically the Shapton Pros/Glass and Choseras) “fit” as far as sharpening with a Wicked Edge System. I rather consider these whetstones as the “Organics” of knife sharpening and wonder where & when you prefer these over the diamond stones.

MarcH

I have a full range of whetstones from 220 grit to 30K grit, (30,000), so I start with them and finish with them, only using the Shaptons, exclusively. For a working edge, Kitchen Knife, I usually sharpen only up through 5K or some times maybe 8K grit. I do strop every knife I sharpen with at least a two step leather strop progression at the end.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

1 user thanked author for this post.
    NickedEdge
    Participant

I have a full range of whetstones from 220 grit to 30K grit, (30,000), so I start with them and finish with them, only using the Shaptons, exclusively. For a working edge, Kitchen Knife, I usually sharpen only up through 5K or some times maybe 8K grit. I do strop every knife I sharpen with at least a two step leather strop progression at the end.

Oh man you probably just set me back a few shekels with that reply Marc! Lol!  I’ve always liked the Organics and I was still pondering why until you most recent reply to my question on Organic Stones, the light bulb went on and the bank account has barred and bolted its doors, but like any true crusader I have the battering ram out!

Haffner
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 29

I’m back in business after disassembling and cleaning it. In the process I took photos and created this disassembly and cleaning instruction pdf file: https://view.publitas.com/p222-16215/we-clamp-disassembly-and-cleaning-12-12-17 When this link displays, you can either view it there, or on the left, there is a button to download the pdf. I haven’t used this publitas before, so could someone confirm that they can download it and view it? PS, I need to figure out if I was doing something wrong, since obviously people don’t need to disassemble and clean the clamp after every couple knives.

Unfortunately, this link is now broken.

I hope you can fix it – I would love to learn how to do it.

Dennis Hibar
    Participant
    • Replies: 99

Unfortunately, this link is now broken. I hope you can fix it – I would love to learn how to do it.

If it is the instructions I think you are talking about, I remember seeing them.  I converted them into a pdf file for future reference.  I’ll try attaching it to this reply.

WEClampCleaning

• This reply was modified 5 years, 11 months ago by Dennis Hibar.
    • This reply was modified 5 years, 11 months ago by Dennis Hibar.
    Attachments:
    5 users thanked author for this post.
    NickedEdge
    Participant

If it is instructions I think you are talking about, I remember converting them into a pdf file. I’ll try attaching it to this reply. WEClampCleaning

Remarkable job, thank you! Do happen to recall the size of the hex/Allen wrenches needed for the disassembly? Also there was a foam piece (cylindrical ?) made mentioned of earlier in the course of the thread. Is it no longer used? or was it simply removed as was also mentioned/commented on. Again wonderful job.

My only comment would be an alternate description on the Belleville washer reassembly; that each pair of washers should form a “flying saucer” when paired, edge to edge, and not rest inside one another, then stacked as saucer pairs. I only mention this as I was momentarily thrown by the term “outside”.

MarcH

Do happen to recall the size of the hex/Allen wrenches needed for the disassembly? Also there was a foam piece (cylindrical ?) made mentioned of earlier in the course of the thread. Is it no longer used?

The only size hex/allen wrench I believe I needed beyond those already included and used with the Wicked Edge was a 5/32″ to remove the screws holding down the blue base.

I lost my foam cylinder during one of my first disassemblies and have done without it since, with seemingly no ill effects.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.