Advanced Search

Help Me Figure This One Out

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Expidia
    Participant
    • Topics: 47
    • Replies: 339

You have put into the blade a “recurve” near the bolster which renders IMO the knife useless as a good performing kitchen knife because it can’t cut food down to the board in that area.  I’m not telling you anything you don’t already know as I’ve done this a few times myself on expensive folding knives.

You have a few choices.  When I have put in a recurve into an expensive blade it kills off their future resale values for me so I had the company replace the blade each time.   Before we get a decent amount of sharpening time under our belts we make mistakes.  Recurves appear as we focus too much time on one area of the blade rather than use full strokes down the blade length (or for longer blades it can be done in sections).

Another choice is to send it into the company and have them restore the blade for you chalking  the cost up to lessened learned.  Many companies don’t charge to re-sharpen.  They only charge the shipping back to you.  I’d say all of the brands I own currently have lifetime free sharpening.

If you don’t own them already by the 50/80 git set.  They are cheaper than most of WE’s other stones.  Use the 50 to re-profile the blade getting rid of steel until the edge is straight again.  The 50’s make fast work on a re-profile followed by the 80’s.

Or bring the blade to a friend that owns a belt grinder and that is the fastest way to re-profile then start with the 100/200’s and progress from there.  For kitchen knives many only go to 800 for a working edge.

Lastly a tip using Amazon ratings:  my Brother recently taught me this.  Ratings can be skewed towards higher stars. So I used to only scroll through the negative ratings and wondered how I still got bagged so often with a crappy purchase that I had to waste my time sending it back. And I used to look towards the items with the most ratings figuring how bad can an item be with like 3,000 ratings or even 32,000 ratings???   He suggested was to scroll down on the left side of an item until you get to the window that says customer reviews (see pic) its by the % of people happy with their purchase.

I was replacing my food saver bag sealer.  I looked at the latest food saver and it had over 5,000 reviews.  But using the % window it shows 1 star = 16%, 2 stars = 4% and 3 star = 5%.  Add all 3 together and thats 25% of buyers were one way or another unhappy with their purchase.  Thats 1,000 people out of 5,000! I don’t like those odds so I moved on.  As soon as you see 10% 1 stars thats already too high.  5% would be a better start.

So I went with the Koios unit for $64.  It has 1=5%, 2 = 1%, and 3 = 3%  or average of 9% people unhappy out of over 2,200.  And with all this cheap Chinese products you have to expect a bunch of returns.  But I like those odds better and I bought the Koios.  Beautiful unit and much better than my old food saver that finally died.

Try averaging the 1, 2 and 3 ratings together on your next search on Amazon!  They can skew positive ratings, but it’s harder to skew the negative averages.

For the hell of it I just checked the WE Go unit.  star ratings 1 (lowest) = 4%, 2 = 5% and 3 = “0”% . . . Dems some sweet numbers on customer satisfaction . . . Congrats Clay!

Attachments:
    1 user thanked author for this post.
    Richard
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 183

That’s a great idea on those Amazon reviews, I’ll keep that in mind.

Mr.Wizard
    Participant
    • Topics: 6
    • Replies: 190

A lot of reviews on Amazon are totally fake, unfortunately.  You can try to filter out some of these using Fakespot.com but I don’t trust that entirely either.

Richard
    Participant

I bought a set of Henckels 5-Stars back in 1998 and had great results but they really needed to be replaced as the uniformity of the blade had changed with all of the material removed over the years. … I’m already beginning to see a bow in the blade just forward of the bolster due to all the sharpening required. … Yeah, that dip just forward of the bolster is totally from me sharpening it. It used to be completely flat …

This is bad technique. You should not be making a bow like that as you sharpen. Likely your 1998 set could be restored to working order with a little work. You can reduce the bolster as needed to preserve the profile of the knife. When the behind-the-edge thickness is too large you can thin the knife. After repeated thinning and tip repair you can grind some off of the back of the handle to restore balance.

Is there a video that you know of that instructs on how to grind that heel down in order to begin removing that curve?

Mr.Wizard
    Participant
    • Topics: 6
    • Replies: 190

Is there a video that you know of that instructs on how to grind that heel down in order to begin removing that curve?

This one looks right.  Some people grind the bolster off with a spindle sander, like a big choil, which is fine if you like bolsterless knives.  However it changes the feel substantially and those not accustomed to bolsterless knives may cut themselves.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    airscapes
    Participant
    • Topics: 19
    • Replies: 367

That is the video that inspired me to make the Variable speed belt sender to do just that!

Richard
    Participant

That is the video that inspired me to make the Variable speed belt sender to do just that!

Pretty impressive setup for sure, did you get the Work Sharp or a bench mounted system?

airscapes
    Participant
    • Topics: 19
    • Replies: 367

Pretty impressive setup for sure, did you get the Work Sharp or a bench mounted system?

I modified a Harbor Freight 1×30 belt sander to use a variable speed treadmill motor .. Skip to page 3 for pics and videos when it was complete https://knife.wickededgeusa.com/forums/topic/belt-sander-grinder-sharpener/

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.