Advanced Search

Help me choose a WE package

Recent Forums Main Forum Help me choose a WE package

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Bryan Nelson
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 2

Hello,

New guy here. I have decided, after much research, to purchase the WE system to sharpen Amy knives. I am trying to decide what package to purchase. I don’t mind spending money, I just don’t want to waste money. I am looking at either the WE130, or the Gen3 pro. I will be sharpening a wide variety of knives. I have several Shun knives as well as western style chef knives. I have EDC knives, hunting knives, and tactical knives. I will be sharpening simple tool steel up to VG10 max and M4. I would like a carrying case with the package I choose.
    It seems like the Gen3 Pro package may be the best value for what I want. I would likely be adding the WE ceramics to this along with a lineup of Shapton glass stones for the  Shun knives. Does my plan sound solid, and is the Gen3 Pro in fact the best value. I would go with the WE130, but it seems that if I add the additional stones, case, and accessories, it would cost more than the Gen3 Pro. Am I looking at this correctly?

000Robert
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 406

I bought the Pro Pack 3 after checking everything out. The case in the PP3 has a telescoping handle and wheels. It is also capable of sharpening/reprofiling asymmetrical bevel angles.

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

I have both models, the WE130 and the Gen 3 Pro.  I prefer the WE130, (that’s in the Pro Pack 3.)  There is nothing that can be done with the Gen 3 Pro that can’t be done with the WE130.  But there are sharpening situations the WE130 allows that the Gen 3 Pro can’t easily accomplish.

For my needs the WE130 is a better fit.  I have customized and modified both these models to better fit my needs, but still, the variability and the adaptability the customized WE130 allows far surpasses the workability of my Gen 3 Pro.

I have a broad variety of knives and steels as you do.  The W.E. setups are excellent right out of the box.  As good as the W.E. models are, there are too many different styles and sizes of knives for them to work simply and well with every knife variety.  We have to be able to clamp a knife securely in the vise first, before we can attempt to sharpen it.  Sometimes it takes some creativity and ingenuity to improve the adaptability of the W.E. models to allow us to clamp and sharpen all of our different knives in our collections.

The W.E. LAA, (low angle adapter) and the Tormek Small knife holder are two accessories that are helpful for many of these trickier knife clamping situations.  Which ever model you decide is right for you you’ll find the need to use both of these adapters at some time or another.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

2 users thanked author for this post.
    000Robert
    Participant

The PP3 also comes with the 1/4″ clamps as well as the LAA. The case with the PP3 sounds expensive, but it’s worth it in my opinion. It is built like a tank! Here’s a few photos of the hard rolling case.

Attachments:
    Bryan Nelson
    Participant

Thank you all for the information. I have decided to go ahead and get the Propack3

I will still need to purchase the Shapton glass stones.  Is the only source for these on Ebay?

Bryan Nelson
    Participant

… and another question, Granite or aluminum base and why.

Marc H

My preference is the granite.  It’s larger, heavier but also more expensive.  I like how it looks and the solid, heavy feel, keeps it sitting in one place.  I do have a WE120 on the W.E. Aluminum base.  That base is nice also, though it’s a little smaller.  The aluminum base is quality made and appearing like everything associated with W.E.

I have made bases out of large wood cutting boards.  A big thick piece of butcher block is a nice option you can make a base from for yourself if you’re a little handy.

If you plan on purchasing the case you probably should determine from W.E. which base fits in the case.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

• This reply was modified 3 years ago by Marc H.
    Marc H

I will still need to purchase the Shapton glass stones. Is the only source for these on Ebay?

private message sent to you

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

000Robert
    Participant

… and another question, Granite or aluminum base and why.

I bought the aluminum base with my PP3. It is heavy enough and I have had no problems with it. It is cheaper than the granite base but the main reason that I chose the aluminum base is that it is lighter. My brain and heart wanted the granite, but my bad back wanted the aluminum – My bad back won the debate.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    000Robert
    Participant

Thank you all for the information. I have decided to go ahead and get the Propack3 I will still need to purchase the Shapton glass stones. Is the only source for these on Ebay?

Wise choice! I am very happy with my PP3. I also added the scissor and chisel attachments, 50/80 and 2200/3000 stones, and other stuff since then.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.