Advanced Search

Hello from Texas

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat Hello from Texas

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Danny
    Participant
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 26

Well i got ahead of myself earlier and posted on another forum page. I am a crane operator looking to sharpening knives on my down time. I like to hunt and fish so i need sharp knives. My problem is that i am not very good at hand sharpening due to my shaky hands. I have gotten electric sharpeners but they never really work all that well. I been looking at this WEPS for a whilr since i seen it on amazon. Went ahead and bought me a Gen 3 this week and waiting for it to be delivered today.  I have many knives to sharpening around the house from older ones that i have just put into a suitcase or hidden because i cant get them sharpened right or even at all.  I have been watching video after video reading a lot on how this system works. Probly went a little over the top since I ordered every accessory,  stone, ceramic, strop and a few compounds with my first go.  Also been looking to get the Shapton stones and maybe even the Chosera stones so I can play with the diamond and wet stones.  Like I said, I kind of go over and beyond, but I do like options.  After a whilr i am looking to sharpening for a side hustle but will see how everything goes.  I move around due to my job.  Well thats probly lengthy but HELLO FROM TEXAS.  This is Danny over and out.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

Welcome Danny!

Dwight Glass
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 89

I Started With the “Gen – 3”, it is a great place to start. welcome Danny

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Welcome aboard, Danny!  Before you get too far into it, read a bunch of forum threads about starting out.  And watch a bunch of videos.  While the WE system seems to be foolproof, there are some skills to be developed – more technique than skill, I guess.  Some newbies get great results from the start, while others seem to struggle a bit.  It depends on your fundamental understanding of what it takes to produce a sharp edge.  The best advise is to start out with a few junky knives – maybe a handful of clunkers from the local thrift shops.  Save your best knives for when you feel really comfortable with it.  Meanwhile, hang around the forum here and don’t be afraid to ask other forum members when you’re unsure.  There’s always a few of us ready to jump in with advice, and somehow, we manage to keep the ornery types at bay.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Danny
    Participant
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 26

Thanks. Glad to be here and look forward to all the advice i can absorb.

Richard
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 183

Welcome to the forum Danny, I’m in middle Georgia.  Ditto on everything TCMeyer said, lots of knowledge here.  I watched all the videos as well but more important that those, it’s practice where you are going to develop really good techniques.  You will see your results getting better as well as your time on a knife reducing as you get more proficient, so just be patient and ask a lot of questions.  And oh, BTW, go ahead and purchase an angle cube; it’s a necessity.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.