Advanced Search

Hello from germany

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat Hello from germany

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Brewbear
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 168

In addition to Marc’s comments,  you have to know the gentleman in the video is a rather accomplished knife maker that knows his way around a sharpening stone. I didn’t agree with his statement that the markings on the horizontal rod are all you need, you are much better off using an angle cube in order to have replicable results.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Thomas
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 12

Hello there,

I just ordered the Wicked Edge Pro-Pack III together with a Carson eFlex USB microscope.<span id=”productTitle” class=”a-size-large”></span>

At the moment I’m in holidays but the order will wait for me at home when I’m back in august. 🙂

By the way another stupid question: can you tell me how to remove the permanent marker from the blade after I’ve found the sweet spot and the correct angle? Can I use brake cleaner or something similar?

Greetings,

Thomas

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Can you tell me how to remove the permanent marker from the blade after I’ve found the sweet spot and the correct angle? Can I use brake cleaner or something similar? Greetings, Thomas

I use isopropyl rubbing alcohol on a paper towel.  It removes the “Sharpie” brand permanent marker’s ink completely.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

4 users thanked author for this post.
    airscapes
    Participant
    • Topics: 19
    • Replies: 367

Hi Tom, as Marc said Alcohol works great.  It is also good for cleaning stones and Strops.  I purchased a spray bottle of 99% rubbing alcohol at the drug store and then refill it with Denatured alcohol purchased by the gallon at the hardware store.  The main reason I bought the spay bottle of alcohol rather than using just any spray bottle I had around, is because the bottles sold with alcohol in them do not leak if the fall over like other bottles.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I use lacquer thinner, which is pretty nasty stuff, but it works easily ten times as fast as isopropyl alcohol for removing marker ink.  If I put a single drop of LT over a Sharpie mark, I can see the marker disappearing into the clear liquid.

Nasty stuff, as in sucking the oils right out of your skin.  The pads of my index fingers are calloused and dry from lightly rubbing the thinner over the side of a blade to remove all the marker marks!  A tiny bit on a Kleenex or a paper towel will wipe away quite a bit of marker ink.  I would think Brake Kleen and acetone would work as well, but I haven’t tried them lately.  Any one of them would be a flammability concern, if you’re worried about your eyebrows.

I always have spritzers of lacquer thinner and isopropyl alcohol on my work bench.  Because of their low boiling temps, I often use them to cool off edges I’m grinding on.  Seems to work as well as a bucket of water.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Mikedoh
    • Replies: 570

That’s curious re lacquer thinner being your preference. Never felt that isopropyl wasn’t efficient for marker removal.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Replies: 2095

I use it because it’s handy and it’s handy because it’s an excellent solvent for lots of adhesives.  I frequently use it for cleaning up epoxy messes, especially the putty knife I use to mix it.  Have to be careful what I use it on, as it will tend to dissolve many plastics, including ABS and the soft rubber handles used on some kitchen knives.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Thomas
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 12

Hello and thank you for all the Feedback.

If even lacquer thinner isn’t a problem my brake cleaner should be perfect, too.  I need it often to remove oil from screws.

I can’t wait to start sharpening, my WE was delivered today. Sunday I can hopefully start with the first knife. 🙂

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.