Advanced Search

Hello from England

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat Hello from England

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    jcr
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 3

hi everyone

i recently got myself a wicked edge after years of wanting one.

have sharpened a few knives and am quite pleased with the results.

i found a granite board to mount the system on, but its only 14mm thick and the mounting screws which came with the w/e are far too long to use. could someone advise me as to what size screws i need to get to mount the system to this base.

thank you

jason

Anarchy84
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 61

Welcome to the forum, Jason!

I do not know the answer to your question. Hopefully one of the more knowledgeable folk can enlighten us.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Welcome to the forum, Jason. You have just joined a great forum where people really want to help each other. So please don’t hesitate to ask any questions.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

I recently got myself a wicked edge after years of wanting one.  I found a granite board to mount the system on, but its only 14mm thick and the mounting screws which came with the W/E are far too long to use. could someone advise me as to what size screws I need to get to mount the system to this base. Thank You, Jason

First I’d like to welcome you to the Forum, Jason.  Which WE System are you using?  This may help to answer your question.  Hopefully someone will chime in with the screw thread size.

I don’t know the availability, to you, of screws with American standard threads so it may be easier for you to drill it out and tap it to metric thread screws, of a little larger size.  That you should be able to get done, easy enough, in England, to solve your issue.  The aluminum should tap easily.  You might not even need to drill it out first, to tap it.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 570

Why not cut the screw shorter?

1 user thanked author for this post.
    jcr
    Participant

I recently got myself a wicked edge after years of wanting one. I found a granite board to mount the system on, but its only 14mm thick and the mounting screws which came with the W/E are far too long to use. could someone advise me as to what size screws I need to get to mount the system to this base. Thank You, Jason

First I’d like to welcome you to the Forum, Jason. Which WE System are you using? This may help to answer your question. Hopefully someone will chime in with the screw thread size. 

thank you for the welcome everyone.

its the older type system i have. a w/e 100 with the non adjustable arms.

sksharp
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 408

Welcome jcr, hope someone can help with your problem. I don’t have that system so can’t help with the thread or size.

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

The mounting screws are #10-32 flat socket head cap screws. You need the threads to be at least the thickness of your base plus 1/4″ to engage with the holes in the sharpener.

-Clay

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Nick Middleton
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 7

If getting shorter screws is a problem, you could probably file-down the screws to remove the extra-length until they fit.

jcr
    Participant

If getting shorter screws is a problem, you could probably file-down the screws to remove the extra-length until they fit.

thank you.

jcr
    Participant

The mounting screws are #10-32 flat socket head cap screws. You need the threads to be at least the thickness of your base plus 1/4″ to engage with the holes in the sharpener.

thank you.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.