Advanced Search

Hello Fellow Blade Lovers!

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat Hello Fellow Blade Lovers!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jason
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 0

I have collected knives for years and years but was always horrible at sharpening. I purchased a Work Sharp several years ago and what a freakin mistake that was..don’t know how many knives I ruined with that thing.

After researching the different systems I decided to take the plunge and get Wicked Sharp. Its seemed like the most consistent and logical way to sharpen knives. Even though it is expensive..well right now I have a whole bucket of knives that are no good due to my past mistakes or dullness in general. Time to bring them back to life! I am awaiting my shipment and have been studying up in the meanwhile.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Welcome to the Wicked Edge Forum and sharpening Community, Jason.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

1 user thanked author for this post.
    000Robert
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 406

I have collected knives for years and years but was always horrible at sharpening. I purchased a Work Sharp several years ago and what a freakin mistake that was..don’t know how many knives I ruined with that thing. After researching the different systems I decided to take the plunge and get Wicked Sharp. Its seemed like the most consistent and logical way to sharpen knives. Even though it is expensive..well right now I have a whole bucket of knives that are no good due to my past mistakes or dullness in general. Time to bring them back to life! I am awaiting my shipment and have been studying up in the meanwhile.

Hi Jason. I am pretty new here also. I have the Wicked Edge 130 and the Work Sharp Ken Onion with the Grinding Attachment, and I love them both! For knives I only use the Grinding Attachment. You have to be careful with any belt system because they will remove a lot of steel quick if you are not careful. It is always a good idea to practice with junk knives until you get the hang of it.

I guess it was easier for me because my dad was a master machinist and I have operated turret lathes and machinery since I was 10 years old. I use the WSKO for quick convex edges, fitting firing pins and other small parts. A two birds with one stone kind of thing. I think that the biggest mistake most people make with the WSKO, or any belt system for that matter, is starting with a belt that is too coarse.

Belt speed may be a problem also. I never run the belt more than half speed when sharpening knives. WS has some videos on YT that may help you.

The biggest problem that I have had with my WE is that it takes a long time to break-in the stones. But if I had to pick between the two for sharpening knives I would definitely choose the Wicked Edge.
    You can also use the WE for convex edges. But I don’t think that it would be a true convex edge. When I picture it in my mind, it looks to me like a “stealth” convex – like the sharp angles of the Stealth Fighter jet. 😎 Plus the WE does not require electricity to operate it. You can find a lot of info in the “Knowledge Base”, under “Resources”.

Richard
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 183

Hey Jason and welcome to the forum!  It took me a good six months before I developed a skillset that I could call my own with the help of the guys on this forum.  There are some good YouTube videos as well as some bad ones so yeah, take those knives in the bucket and put them to the test, it’s fun!

Richard

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.