Advanced Search

Hello everybody, some questions from the newbe

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat Hello everybody, some questions from the newbe

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Taras Shevchenko
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 18

Hi everyone,

I will be retailing WEs in Ukraine and have the question about the bases for WEs. They seem to be pretty heavy (especially granite one) and the cost of the shipping them to Ukraine can easily be higher than the cost of the base itself. So what can be used as a substitute for the base? And how WE is attached to it? have not seen any mounting instructions and on the videos it is already mounted.

I just scanned the forum and a lot of topics seemed to be about waiting for the backordered WEs. Is it a common issue?

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Hi Taras,

Welcome to the forums! Good to hear there’s going to be another European retailer. I only know retailers in Germany and France. You should definitely talk to Clay to work out what to stock, etc. He will also be able to answer questions related to the ones you ask.

It will be quite expensive to import the WEPS bases. It is not necessary either: any properly sized block of wood will do. See for example [url url= http://www.wickededgeusa.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=advsearch&q=europe&titleonly=1&exactname=1&childforums=1&Itemid=63%5Dhere%5B/url%5D. I don`t know whether you have IKEA in the Ukraine, but their butcher`s block is perfect. Clay provides mounting instructions and the WEPS comes with the required screws.

If you can do something so the Dutch beat the Germans at football next Wednesday, I`ll answer some more questions ๐Ÿ˜‰

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Taras Shevchenko
    Participant

Hi Mark,

Thanks for reply, I know that it is better to ask Clay, but I am sure he is kind of busy right now:)

So I thought that somebody will be able to give me some guidance here. And I thought about some butchers block and also about the artificial stones that are used in furniture manufacturing for table tops.

about this EURO2012 championship, from what I heard you have good team now (I am not a big soccer fan, but the guy who works for me is) so I hope they will manage.

Robert Nash
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 164

Hi Taras –
    Welcome aboard as a dealer for WE.
    :woohoo:
    I sell from Santa Fe mainly at trade shows but also online. Kay can get you more detailed information and suggestions as well, but while they are traveling:
    Your idea of cutting board/counter top material or manufactured/solid rock product you can get locally is a great way to go for the bases. I have shipped WE a lot internationally and the bases push the shipping charges way up, so I recommend to my customers that they get something locally if at all possible. When I shipped dealers for Wicked Edge, those international dealers who did order bases, got the Paperstone since it is the lightest that WE offers (about 8 pounds).
    The sharpener mounts with two screws coming up through the base material into the blue metal base of the sharpener. So, setting the base up for mounting the sharpener is a matter of drilling two holes through the base. Attached is a pdf of the mounting template (be sure it prints at 100%). Wicked Edge base thickness varies between 1 and 1.25 inches and they are either 12×12 or 10×12 (also in inches). The screws included with the basic kits work for the 1.25 inch thick bases and they are #10-32 and 1.5 inches long. WE uses 3M Bumpon SJ-5023 รขโ‚ฌโ€œ photo attached – on the bottom corners of their bases. The base type and weight will vary based upon the preference of your customer – at home for personal use, I use a 2.5lb piece of cherry wood (what WE sold early on) – this is probably as light as you would want to offer. Many people consider this 2.5 pounds too light รขโ‚ฌโ€œ granite in 12×12 can be as heavy as 19 pounds รขโ‚ฌโ€œ all a matter of preference.
    Hope that helps! Clay and Kay are back in the office Tuesday!
    Email me if I can be of more help and again – welcome aboard!
    Bob ๐Ÿ™‚

Attachments:
    Robert Nash
    Participant

Hi Taras – forgot the template for you!
    Bob
    KershawBlurLarge.jpg

Robert Nash
    Participant

I’ll try that attachment again…:unsure:

KershawBlurLarge.jpg

Robert Nash
    Participant

It is too big so coming to you by email – sorry everyone that I can’t put it up here for you ๐Ÿ™ I’ll see if I can reduce the size of the pdf and try again later
    KershawBlurLarge.jpg

Taras Shevchenko
    Participant
    wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Guys, can anyone tell me what it is this set here on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Wicked-Edge-Field-and-Sport/dp/B006WRH5JO/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1339747114&sr=8-6%5B/quote%5D

It’s pretty much just what you see there – the Carrying Case, C-Clamp, Riser, Vise Jaws, Base Rod, Swivel Joints and Arms and the stones 100#, 200#, 400# and 600#. It’s the new Field & Sport model we’re releasing.

-Clay

Taras Shevchenko
    Participant

So this is a new model, I have not seen it on your website and thought it was some model from while back.
    Looks very interesting because as far as I understand it eliminates the need for the base? You just clamp it to the table, am I right?

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

So this is a new model, I have not seen it on your website and thought it was some model from while back.
    Looks very interesting because as far as I understand it eliminates the need for the base? You just clamp it to the table, am I right?

Yes, you can just clamp it to a table or anything solid. It’s nice and light and portable.

-Clay

Taras Shevchenko
    Participant

Hi Taras,
    If you can do something so the Dutch beat the Germans at football next Wednesday, I`ll answer some more questions ๐Ÿ˜‰

Hi Mark, I know that this is probably not the best place to do this, but as there is no flame subforum or anything like that in this forum I just put it here

Just a fun video about Ukrainian news reporter trying to film short newsflick about Dutch footbal fans

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Haha Taras, this is really funny. It became quite big here and even made it to the national news. Nice to know it is also popular in Ukraine!

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Taras Shevchenko
    Participant

Yeah, it was also in the news here in Ukraine.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.