Advanced Search

Hello All and Thank You!

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat Hello All and Thank You!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    JohnnyR
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1

Hello All! I just wanted to introduce myself. I’m Johnny, I’m a country guy and some of my knives can see some hard use. I’ve never been satisfied with the edge I get with freehand sharpening and have spent months deliberating over what system seemed best for me.

I have spent countless hours on this forum over the last few months, reading posts and familiarizing myself with the Wicked Edge system. Thanks to all of you, I finally narrowed down my purchase and pulled the trigger on the Pro Pack III yesterday. I look forward to it’s arrival and the chance to hone my skills with this system.

Though I have read many posts, I’m sure I will have questions when I start my journey towards a wicked edge. Thank you  in particular to MarcH, Airscapes and Clay for a lot of the information I’ve learned thus far  (I know I’m leaving people out but I can’t remember everyone). Thank you to everyone else I left out, and all those that help new comers to achieve their Wicked Edge!

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Welcome to the Wicked Edge Forum and sharpening community, JohnnyR.   That’s a great set-up you chose.  You have pretty much everything you’ll need.  I write that with a smirk on my mind.  Once you get the hang of it you’ll find other accessories you just need to have.  Enjoy the journey.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

1 user thanked author for this post.
    JohnnyR
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1

Thank you MarcH! I am probably going to pick up a usb microscope here real soon as per forum advice. I imagine it won’t be long until I pick up the 50/80 diamond stones, the Leather 1/0.5 micron strops and the 1200/1600 ceramic stones. I almost ordered the extra stones and strop with the pro pack but thought I would test everything out first. I figured time could reprofile some of my bevels with the 100/200 grit and I wouldn’t be proficient enough out of the gate to need the ceramic stones and extra leather strops for mirror finishes on my nicer blades. Besides, I can only explain so much to the missus 😂😂.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Welcome aboard Johnny!  Don’t be in a hurry to add the 50/80 stones or the ceramic stones, as you may find you really don’t need them.  I’ve gone nine years without the 50/80’s and don’t miss ’em.  Take that with a grain of salt, though, as I have a 1 X 30 belt sander to fix the really, really badly damaged edges.  It just goes a lot faster.   So does the WorkSharp, if you already have one.

As for the 1200/1600 ceramics, that range of grits is pretty well covered by the Pro Pack III.  Most of the fellows here have found that the ceramic stones don’t give as fine of a finish as the diamonds and lapping film.  If you get to the point where you feel you “need” to produce mirror finishes, you’ll want the level of polish that comes from diamonds.

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.