Advanced Search

Hello All

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat Hello All

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Wayne
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 5

I’m a retired chef with 30 years in white tablecloth restaurants, including two of my own. Using knives as part of my daily activities is ingrained. Regretfully, I never became proficient at freehand sharpening. I achieved only passable toothy edges on my (mostly Wusthof) work horses. I almost always had a Norton Tri-Stone around.

For a couple of years now I’ve collected a dozen and a half of better folders and custom fixed blades. Production knives, mid-techs, and customs. I exclusively used a Sharpmaker during this time. I wouldn’t dare try to sharpen them freehand for fear of scratching polished blades. It’s worked pretty well but once I learned about guided systems I soon jonesed for a Wicked Edge system.

My main exposure so far to better knives, better steels, and better sharpening techniques has been on BladeForums. I particularly want to thank 000Robert for directing me here.

I received a WE Pro-Pack III this week and have been begun to learn how to use it. Reading threads here has already been very helpful in getting started. I have a few tool steel carbon blades around to hopefully become proficient on before tackling my expensive folders and custom fixed blades.

Thanks for the community.

— Wayne

• This topic was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by Wayne.
    1 user thanked author for this post.
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Welcome Wayne

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Dwight Glass
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 89

Wayne I am glad you are with us. If you reach past the tip of the knife — move your hand a way from the knife as you bring your arm back. Safety first.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Bob
    Participant
    • Replies: 8

Welcome Wayne, you’re gonna love your pro pack

000Robert
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 406

You’re very welcome, Wayne. Welcome to the WE family! I use the same user name here as I use on BF.

Wayne
    Participant

Thanks, 000Robert. I should have used marchone but read the registration incorrectly.

000Robert
    Participant

That’s ok. You can use whatever screenname that you want. I just decided to use the same screenname and avatar here, and at BF. This is the first time that I ever did that. I usually use different screennames and avatars for different forums.

Brewbear
    Participant
    • Replies: 168

Welcome to the WE gang, you’ll have fun here. The BF forum is a nice and informative place but the classies can get expensive really fast (don’t ask).

Wayne
    Participant

What’s a classie?

Brewbear
    Participant

Classie = classified ads = for sale by individuals/dealers. Some very good deals but they add up fast!

Wayne
    Participant

Oh yeah. The odd part for me is that I never had an interest in folders till I retired. Except for the ubiquitous SAK. Strange but true. Since joining BF I’ve spent thousands on folders, and a couple of good custom fixed blades. Now I truly have what I desire and will use. My premium kit, if you will.

The next step was a WE system. I’m still pouring over videos. The Jende WEPS Chosera Tutorials posted in Getting Started are very helpful.

000Robert
    Participant

Oh yeah. The odd part for me is that I never had an interest in folders till I retired. Except for the ubiquitous SAK. Strange but true. Since joining BF I’ve spent thousands on folders, and a couple of good custom fixed blades. Now I truly have what I desire and will use. My premium kit, if you will. The next step was a WE system. I’m still pouring over videos. The Jende WEPS Chosera Tutorials posted in Getting Started are very helpful.

I’m the opposite – I bought my WE130 first, and then started buying some knives. I bought a Kershaw Launch 1 because I wanted a decent little auto to clip in a pocket. Then started buying fixed blades. After looking around, I decided that Carothers Performance Knives (CPK), were the knives that fit the bill for me. I love the looks and the toughness of CPK knives in CPM-3V steel. Plus they aren’t terribly expensive.

I lucked out and got a new CPK U/F – Utility/Fighter in 3V steel with Black and Red Linen Micarta scales.UF-12a

Attachments:
    Brewbear
    Participant

Seems like Kershaw is the “gateway” to this addiction, I started with a Cryo and soon moved up to CRK’s. I have a fixed blade or two, scandi grind, I bought from Finland but right now I spend my time (and money) on Barry Wood knives…

000Robert
    Participant

Seems like Kershaw is the “gateway” to this addiction, I started with a Cryo and soon moved up to CRK’s. I have a fixed blade or two, scandi grind, I bought from Finland but right now I spend my time (and money) on Barry Wood knives…

It would be nice to see some photos! Before I bought my CPK U/F, I bought a Buck 120 General. I have always been partial to Buck knives and I just had to have at least one General. I also got three Grade A USA military surplus M7 bayonets for me and my two sons.

Buck120-2a
    M7-2a

Attachments:
    Readheads
    Participant
    • Topics: 32
    • Replies: 308

If you are doing expensive knives be sure to tape the knife well. Mysterious scratches show up on the blade face many times no matter how careful I am. Pretty much impossible to remove by hand.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.