Advanced Search

Heavy Duty Ball Joint Upgrade!

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpener and Accessory Maintenance Heavy Duty Ball Joint Upgrade!

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Chris
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 351

I take it to make it work I will still need a PPII setup, right?

You would need to already have a PPII or the ball joint arms upgrade kit.

All I have done is replace one part with another identical but heavier duty part, the ball joint.
    Not that it needs to be “heavy duty”, but it encloses the ball bearing totally, thus keeping out any abrasive dust.
    It is also a much smoother experience. (it comes with the rubber cover)

The “grommet” is simply something else I bought to slide over ther arms to absorb any shock from bottoming out the paddles (stones)

A grommet is not designed for the purpose here.
    It is meant to shield electrical cable from cuts while going through a firewall etc.
    Commonly used in vehicle wiring.

I’m not saying the original is not up to the task or will have issues, basically I have upgraded the upgrade. 😉

Chris,

This looks great. Unfortunately English is not my first language and I didn’t spend long enough Downunder. Even with the pics I cannot make out exactly what I see.

Hi Mark, hopefully I have explained it all above?

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Thanx Chris and Xuzme. Now it makes sense to me 🙂 . So you replaced the complete ball joints and did not put just a piece of rubber around them?

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Chris
    Participant

I did both, yes.

Seperately.

My wife doesn’t understand me either. 😉

Dennis Gocong
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 93

Chris,

Thanks for the clarification and really appreciate the work up on the upgrade. That would be a real fun DIY project once I’ve purchased the PPII upgrade kit.

Chris
    Participant

I’m also finding with the HD ball joints arm rotation is reduced significantly.
    The rubber seal seems to hold the joint true.

A much better experience when adjusting the micro-angle screw.

Chris
    Participant

I have someone interested in these ball joints also, are they as easy to find in other countries as they are here in Australia?

Perhaps someone that can arrange a purchase and post option for a member here?

Chris
    Participant

I’m getting some socket heads put into these ball joints so I can still use the micro-adjust if I want.

The guy who sells them said they are used a lot in marine applications, so salt water isn’t a problem.

Of course that would be great for whetstone use as well as a dusty environment. :cheer:

Perhaps we can persuade Clay to offer these as an option?
    Any interest?

Clay?

Marion
    Participant
    • Replies: 41

I have searched several US parts houses. While there were many similar, not the same. None with that part number that I found.

Not that I have to have them but how much would they be in US$ plus shipping to the US?

Thanks.

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

I’m getting some socket heads put into these ball joints so I can still use the micro-adjust if I want.

The guy who sells them said they are used a lot in marine applications, so salt water isn’t a problem.

Of course that would be great for whetstone use as well as a dusty environment. :cheer:

Perhaps we can persuade Clay to offer these as an option?
    Any interest?

Clay?

I had our machine shop order some and they’re putting the socket head in the shank for me to test out. I’m just waiting on the samples now 🙂

-Clay

Chris
    Participant

I have searched several US parts houses. While there were many similar, not the same. None with that part number that I found.

Not that I have to have them but how much would they be in US$ plus shipping to the US?

Thanks.

No eyed deer where you would find them in the US, but it shouldn’t be hard.
    The part number would apply to a brand.
    I think if it looks like it and has the same thread it will do.

Fred Hermann
    Participant
    • Topics: 30
    • Replies: 188

Good grief…this is another shining example of how we work together to make some thing great even better.
    I’m just jealous I never thought of this.

Marion
    Participant
    • Replies: 41

That brand wasn’t listed in any catalog I looked in and I did go through 20 at least.

None had the rubber dust cover.

Oh Well.

Chris
    Participant

That brand wasn’t listed in any catalog I looked in and I did go through 20 at least.

None had the rubber dust cover.

Oh Well.[/quote]

This is where I first found them, but only metric.
    http://wickededgeusa.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=2&id=4809&limit=10&limitstart=40&Itemid=63#6093

Chris
    Participant

Put the socket head into a few of these, but not really worth the expense, as I don’t use the micro-adjust.

May be able to offer some of these to members for cost.
    Perhaps a WE voucher after arrival rather than cash changing hands?
    An extra two inches on the arms is a great upgrade also, loving this.

edit – All gone, thanks.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.