Advanced Search

Hattori knives

Recent Forums Main Forum Knife Specific Discussion Hattori knives

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    tuffy braithwaite
    Participant
    • Topics: 184
    • Replies: 360

Sounds like I maybe getting some to sharpen.

I have read about blade chipping problems.

Now I am asking for sharpening advise for them
    Thanks
    T

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

Most of the Hattori range is VG10 steel with a Rockwell Hardness of 60-61 the factory angle is supposedly 12Ëš two things to check are the knives been used correctly most Japanese knives are more for a slicing action rather than a chopping action so a gung hoe chef that uses them for everything will either roll the blade or chip them.
    I would look for chips and discuss perhaps changing the edge bevel if it is damaged perhaps to say 16Ëš if they are old you may consider putting a thinning bevel as low as you can get then perhaps another of around 16Ëš and a micro bevel perhaps of 18Ëš.
    They are very fine knives http://japanesechefsknife.com/HATTORI.html here is a link so you can look at some of these fine knives.
    It sounds like you will have fun but I would definitely look at the edge with a loupe or something to determine the overall condition.

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Not sure if you mean chipping in use, or chipping in sharpening… if it’s sharpening, coarse diamond stones can chip the edge so avoid using them, if you can. Stick to fine diamonds, ceramics and strops. If you have to do some major work, with coarse stones, stop before the grind reaches the edge.

You might consider waterstones if you think you’re going to be doing a lot, but if it’s a rare event, you can use the standard finer stones.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

VG-10 is sometimes prone to chipping. However, the Hattori VG-10 is about the best there is. I wouldn’t assume it chips just because it is VG-10.

I think Leo gives very sound advice regarding thinning out. If you have kitchen knives like Hattori you probably want them very thin behind the edge.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.