Advanced Search

Has anyone tried the 50 and 80 grit stones?

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Basic Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Has anyone tried the 50 and 80 grit stones?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Scott
    Participant
    • Topics: 27
    • Replies: 121

I noticed that they are not included in the pro pack and was wondering if they are too coarse to use on a blade you want to bring to a mirror polish finish. I have not received my WEPS yet so I am wondering if I should include the accessory 50/80 extra coarse stones to re profile my S30v and Elmax ZT knives from 20 degrees to 15 or 18 degrees. If I do use these aggressive stones will they make it that much harder to polish the metal blades to a mirror finish or does the pro pack progression just quickly and easily erase the crude scratches made by these stones. They seem to be better for initially changing a bevel quickly.

Or should I just stick to the stones in the pro pack and start at the 100 grit included stones? Experience preferred, conjecture welcome:) .

Thanks
    Scott

Wayne Nicklin
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 39

These are fast cutting stones. You don’t want to bear down too much or it will be a while before you get the scratches out. If your reprofiling using the 100 grit diamond that comes with the packages you could be using that for sometime. It’s like any thing you have to practice as the different steals react differently.

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

I have them… if you’re going to do much reprofiling, they’re totally worth it. Also good for making repairs.

But you’re right, they are aggressive, and leave scratches that take longer to get out. I had a real good example recently… I had a knife that didn’t need much work, but the area around the belly toward the tip was really messed up, so I used the 50 –> 80 stones in that area, then worked the whole blade to around a 5m finish. When I was done, I noticed that the area around the belly still had noticeable scratches. So, it would take a bit more work to get them out. But for me, the speed benefit outweighs the polish… the polish will come out in a couple more sharpenings.

Taras Shevchenko
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 18

Here is the vid from jdavis882 about these stones

Joyal Taylor
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 52

The 50/80 grits also work very well if you ever want to change a serrated edge to a plain edge.

cbwx34
    Participant

The 50/80 grits also work very well if you ever want to change a serrated edge to a plain edge.

Good point!!….. removal!! 😆 😆 😆

Scott
    Participant

Great info. One question though. In the video TaraShevchenko made a point out of not going to the apex because it would leave nicks that were hard to remove and I am not sure how you would use a flat stone, especially one that aggressive and not file all the way up the bevel to the apex. If you are filing a new profile, won’t the 50/80 kind of automatically make the V shape from the bottom to the top of the new edge a flat edge including the apex?

Other than that point, it seems like the 50/ 80’s are a great addition to the pro kit.

cbwx34
    Participant

If you are filing a new profile, won’t the 50/80 kind of automatically make the V shape from the bottom to the top of the new edge a flat edge including the apex?

When you reprofile, the stone contacts near the shoulder, and moves up toward the edge as you grind in the new bevel. You’ll see it in the scratch pattern. So, you stop before the scratches reach all the way to the edge… switch to the 100g stones, and finish the reprofile.

You’ll see when you do it. 😉

Taras Shevchenko
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 18

In the video TaraShevchenko made a point…

Just wanted to clarify that it is not my video, just posted it because this guy jdavis seems to know what he is talking about and you can see quite clearly the stones themselves

Scott
    Participant

Makes sense, can’t wait to get my hands on this system to start experimenting. I may have to go to my local target or K Mart to buy some cheap knives to experiment on and to break my stones in on. I guess the best thing to do is get a set of kitchen knives and just hack away on some rocks and wood and cardboard so I can bring them back and reprofile them.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.