Advanced Search

Hardness Testers

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Fred Hermann
    Participant
    • Topics: 30
    • Replies: 188

On a sword forum I haunt, there is some very interesting debate going on concerning hardness testing.
    The original poster used something like this:
    http://www.amazon.com/Flexbar-Hardness-Testing-File-Set/dp/B001CTI7TE/ref=pd_sim_sbs_indust_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=12F2NDMRMDR72YBKJYPR

Now correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t the real test a Rockwell test that leaves a dimple on the steel in question? or is there something else out there?

Food for debate…

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Now correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t the real test a Rockwell test that leaves a dimple on the steel in question? or is there something else out there?

Yup, you’re right. https://www.google.nl/search?q=rockwell+hardness+test&oq=rockwell+hardness+test&aqs=chrome..69i57.5989j0j1&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8

I have no idea, though, how the Amazon product would work. I’m interested…

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 570

Wouldn’t the amazon product just be a scratch test? Harder things scratch softer things and the testers could / would have hardness determined by the standard test dimple method.

Fred Hermann
    Participant
    • Topics: 30
    • Replies: 188

Yes, its just a scratch test, and these claim to be accurate to +- 2 points, but they also only claim to test within a 5 point range, so you’d have a file for 40-45, 45-50, 50-55 etc.

Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 570

I’m a bit daft, but not understanding what your query is. Scratch gets one within 5 points of hardness. May or may not be of use to one considering hardness range.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.