Advanced Search

Hand sharpened

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat Hand sharpened

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

Firstly let me point out that particularly with priced folders it is probable best to use the Wicked Edge which I have.
    I set up a business with my wife on my return to the UK sharpening knives for chefs I use Japanese whetstone & all sharpening ,thinning & repairs are done by hand using traditional Japanese whetstone sharpening methods.
    This Kasumi was one of many knives that had been ruined by a knife grinder to the extent that he had put a bevel on both sides and had made the blade too thick so I had to thin the knife down from the shinogi with a slight convex angle and I had to go beyond getting to the edge since I had to remove the bevel from the ura only then could I put a micro bevel on the shinogi side and then polish the ura then I polished the flats using small broken bits of a 5K stone . The knife will be better than new since many cheaper Yang’s from Mac , Shun , Global etc are too thick to begin with.

Needless to say the first 2 pics are before my treatment

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

That’s amazing work, Leo. If you don’t mind sharing, about how many hours did you put into it? I’ve done only a few thinning jobs and them only by sanding belt – can’t hardly imagine such an effort.

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

It took about 4 hours but to keep them this way is about 20 minutes work . I had about 9 or 10 knives from this 1 restaurant that the chefs had retired because the grinder had rendered them useless the head chef had replaced his Japanese knives with Victorinox since the grinder could just about coup with them so I had 3 Yanagi to restore in a similar condition to the one above the worst one was a cheap one a very big Global around 300mm because he had gone further into the heel of the knife worst thing is this particular grinder sells Japanese knives as well.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.