Advanced Search

Hair Popping

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Phillip
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 2

Well, first time post here and I’ll bring this thread back from the way dead. I’ve been sharpening EDC’s through the stones 200/400/600/800/1000/1500 and can get some very nice arm hair shavers, but definitely no tree toppers, so a HHT 0 I’d say! That’s at 20 dps or 17 dps depending on the knive. All (whopping 12 to 15) knives I’ve sharpened shave hair very effortlessly. I’m sure lack of experience/technique/skill is at play. I don’t have a USB scope but I am getting a 60x loupe soon so that will help. Is it possible to get an EDC to HHT 3 or 4 with 1500 grit stones followed by 6u lapping film and 4/2/1/.5 cow leather strops with emulsion paste?

HHT-0 – shave:The hair can be shaved immediately at the holding point. This is strictly spoken not a true HHT, but it does tell us that the edge is capable of shaving. [all other attempts must be made at least half an inch from the holding point]
    HHT-1 – violin : The hair doesn’t cut, but it “plays violin” with the edge. This is due to the shingles catching the edge, but it’s not sharp enough to penetrate. On a full hollow razor, a faint ringing sound can be heard. On all razors it can be felt with the fingertips that hold the hair.
    HHT-2 – split: When it is dragged across the edge, the edge catches the hair and splits it lengthwise.
    HHT-3 – catch&pop: When it is dragged across the edge a bit, the edge catches the hair and pops it. The severed part will jump away.
    HHT-4 – pop: The hair is popped immediately when it touches the edge. It still jumps away.
    HHT-5 – silent slicer: The hair falls silently as soon as it touches the edge.

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Phillip, welcome to the Wicked Edge Forum.

It sounds as though you’re doing quite well with your sharpening.  Good deal !!!!  Those are sharp knives!.

I understand your desire to compare the sharpness of your knives and have a basis for comparison for this quality.  Quantifying sharpness for relative comparison, one knife to another, is a difficult thing to do.  Not to burst your bubble…IMO, the HHT is a very subjective sharpness test.  It’s very dependent on the tester’s hair they used.  Arm hair, head hair, leg hair?  Everyone’s hair differs some in softness, thickness or coarseness so they may all cut differently.   Also judging exactly how the hair was actually cut, and fell off the edge and defining that observation within the tests parameters may be open to interpretation and discussion.  Those observations being subjective, also.

Even a sharpness tester like a BESS Edge-On-Up that quantifies sharpness by the manually applied edge pressure needed to cut a standardized test medium lacks test control standards.  That test is very dependent on the tester’s method and the way the test medium is setup in the test holder.  I think only a standardized/mechanized, hands-free testing device can be close to objective and a better measure to quantify sharpness.

To not overcomplicate sharpness testing and not to take all the fun and pride out of seeing how well your sharpened knives cut, a sharpened knife edge that shaves hair is indeed sharp and was obviously sharpened correctly and well.  There’s no disputing that.  You are definitely using your Wicked Edge well and as it’s intended to be used.

The only tip I can share that may improve your outcomes if even just slightly better then you’re seeing now,  is to spend more time and effort with each step.  With each grit stone and medium you use in your sharpening/polishing progression.  When you think you’ve done enough and your finished with that stone, just give the knife edge a few more strokes.  Pay a little better attention to details like finger placement, applied pressure and paddle placement and the edge contact your making with it. Consistency is key.  Until you use a magnified visual aid like the jeweler’s loupe, that you’re wanting, that will actually allow you to see the physical results of efforts, so you can correct for improved outcomes. That’s about all I can suggest.

You’re doing well, congratulations…enjoy using your sharp knives.  They’ll put a smile on your face.😄  For me, that’s what it’s all about.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Phillip
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 2

Thanks Marc! I’m invested in WEPS because, frankly, it removes as much of the “freehand” as possible from the equation. I think I need to go back and read up some more on the finer stones and maybe even ceramics. Oh, and keenness! Little bit of a rabbit hole here, but it’s fun.

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.