Advanced Search

Hack Sharpening Horror Pic!

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpening as a Business Hack Sharpening Horror Pic!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Jonny
    Participant
    • Topics: 12
    • Replies: 40

*WARNING* – Pic Not For the Faint of Heart!

Just thought you Pro’s might want to see this and remind you of the quality service you provide and why you are worth every penny you charge.

So my Wife and I are blessed to be finishing the purchase of a Bar/Restaurant and I of course started digging around the kitchen a bit and checking out the cutlery. Well good God! I found all the knives to have weird shapes and then the cook showed me a box of knives that are literally a quality-sharpeners nightmare. There are a ton more as well.

The kitchen manager let this guy destroy nearly all the knives in the kitchen… unbelievable! And the amount of material he removed is horrifying, and he has the balls to take peoples money and call himself a “sharpening business”. Wow!

Use this pic and show your customers why they should use you and never let a hack-sharpener in a van use a belt sander on their cutlery! I obviously called him immediately and fired him!

Attachments:
    Daniel maloon
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 209

Congratulations on your restaurant! Ya man, it’s sad but unfortunately most restaurants only care about getting their knives sharpened as quickly as possible for the cheapest price possible while buying the cheapest knives they can. What’s even worst is that now restaurants around here are starting to expect a weekly cutlery rental exchange as well for the same price. And a lot of these managers/ owners have a snobby know it all attitude so can’t talk any sense into them.

jimbo45
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 39

Damn those look more like toothpicks than knives

tuffy braithwaite
    Participant
    • Topics: 184
    • Replies: 360

here locally we have a greek family that has been sharpening knives for a cool 50/60 years…………the drop off and pic up once a week and many many restaurant.

when their rental knives get like what u have pictured, they give them to fishing tackle stores and they sell them for 50 cent to 1 buck for bait knives………………..but
    they have used big wheel stones to sharpen on, not belt sanders.

belt sanders when used correctly work great.

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

Hey man, you need some new glasses. Those are 2 oyster knives and 3 ice picks. The knives must be in another drawer. :woohoo:

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Haha, I love those knives, LOL. I need a belt sander :cheer: :cheer:

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

CliffCurry
    Participant
    • Topics: 42
    • Replies: 461

Almost made milk come out my nose TWICE….first when I saw the pictures and 2nd when I read Geo’s post. Thanks for the reality check and a good laugh. 😛

Ziggy
    Participant
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 177

Good luck on the new biz!

And welcome to the restaurant grinder … common in these parts.
    Amazing ain’t it 🙂

Jonny
    Participant

You are correct “Tuffy”, I should not demonize a belt sander, just an over-zealous operator.

I just found more of these in the kitchen. There are about 15 ruined knifes. Thank God he didn’t really get to the Chef’s Knives. They are safe and have a nice new edge on them with out all the chips and dings!

Attached some before and after pics. Only spent about 15 minutes on them just to get them usable. Will spend some time on them when I get a minute.

BEFORE

AFTER

And thanks for the kind words on the business 🙂

Attachments:
    Jeremy Liskey
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 8

It’s a little late to chime in, but I’m new to the forum and thought I’d share one.
    There are a couple of “exchange services” I my area. One is he typical Greek or Italian family’s the other is a local guy. I sharpen personal knives and equipment for some restaurants while they use the botched service for house knives.
    They use the same angry machine for serrated knives.

Attachments:
    Jonny
    Participant

Holy crap, so sad these people call themselves a “business”. But i guess it’s in the hands of the business Owner to be educated and aware of the damage they are doing and the (greatly) shortened lifespan of their cutlery.

Jeremy Liskey
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 8

Holy crap, so sad these people call themselves a “business”. But i guess it’s in the hands of the business Owner to be educated and aware of the damage they are doing and the (greatly) shortened lifespan of their cutlery.

I think it should be the customers responsibility to educate themselves about sharpening. They should ask questions about equipment and technique. Maybe ask about serrated knives or hand the business owner a knife with a symetrical bevel and ask how they would sharpen it.
    When I was still going door to door, if someone was still skeptical I would offer to sharpen one knife for free. It worked every time.
    Even though most of us know proper knife care, if a restaurant is happy using a swap out service (many are), I walk away. If and when the customer comes to their senses they’ll call the better sharpener in town.
    Its fine if they want to spend a ton of money in inventory to supply knives and grind the life out of them. Just don’t take someone’s personal knives and treat them the same.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.