Advanced Search

Guidance needed on next 2 stone (strop) to get

Recent Forums Main Forum Guidance needed on next 2 stone (strop) to get

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    45srbest
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 22

I am a COMPLETE beginner. Forgive my ignorance, I have read so much on the forum but am still confused on the next things to add. I have a WE 130 with diamond stones up to 1000. What would be the next logical items to get. Finer diamond stones and some kind of strops? Please be as specific as you can. I sharpen my kitchen knives (typical Henkel etc,) and my edc’s (sebenza, ZT 562 etc)

thank you once again for all your help and expertise!

Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

I think you will be best served by getting a set of strops. Get the 4 / 2 micron diamond emulsion stop set.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

I share Organic’s opinion.  I finish each knife I sharpen with at least the 4micron/2micron strop combo.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

45srbest
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 22

Thank you for the guidance guys. I will order the 4 / 2 strop set (and probably the 12 inch arm set). But I was wondering if there was a step that should be taken between the 1000 grit stone and 4 / 2 strops. If not I’m good to go!

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Every finer stone added to your sharpening progression will refine, smooth and improve the preciseness of the bevel’s intersection at the apex.  When done with good proper sharpening technique, this can result in improved edge sharpness and a more polished appearance.  The level of edge refinement you seek is a personal thing that goes beyond simple function and necessity.  A properly applied edge with a well broken in set of diamond stones ending with the 1000 grit stone is suuficient to produce a very sharp and practical cutting edge.

With the initial sharpening of a knife with the Wicked Edge the 1000 grit is a good functional finishing place in the first sharpening progression.  With subsequent touch ups of that same knife you should be able to begin the touch up with a higher grit and achieve good results with less effort and quicker.  This is when I’d be open to adding higher grits to the sharpening progression.  Then you’ll have the experience from using that knife from it’s previous sharpening to 1000 grit and a basis for comparison if you add finer grits to the touch up progression.

Expect to see improved results with knives sharpened through a 1000 grit progression as your stones continue to break in and as your technique improves, also.  Improving your sharpening technique with improved consistency in your stone angles, and sharpening strokes and proper attention to detail will contribute more to quality of edge sharpness, right now, then would adding additional finer grits to your progression.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

Those 4 /2 micron strops are great as a finishing step on nearly any grit finished knife. There is no need to use a finer stone than the 1000 grit before using the 4 / 2 micron strop set unless you desire a more refined or shinny finish. That is a matter of personal opinion. 1000 grit is a middle of the road finish from my perspective. It is somewhat “toothy” and will be good for many cutting tasks.

3 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.