Advanced Search

Grit rate vs. edge retention

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Yes, that is the one I am refererring to. Only the pictures are very small (shouldn’t that be easy to fix, Clay?, or are they still the old pictures?) and I’m not sure about the resolution. And as you say, it doesn’t cover every WE abrasive, but to be honest, at the rate new abrasives are being released, that’s pretty hard.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Mark, Cliff Stamp and Jim Ankerson are the only two I know of that go in depth to test edge retention, although I am not as familiar with Jim’s methods or documentation. The 2 articles of Cliff’s work that come to mind are:

1. Coarse edge finishes have longer edge retention in cutting soft material, although Jim Ankerson does admit as well (after years of testing) this same thing.
    2. Polished edge finishes have longer edge retention in chopping or cutting wood

Hope this is what you are looking for 🙂

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Thanks Josh. The second point is important, too, and we sometimes forget that. Polished edges not only have a long edge retention in chopping wood, but in most circumstances where we push-cut and don’t use a slicing or a similar motion.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.