Advanced Search

grit progression new

Recent Forums Main Forum grit progression new

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Salomonalcantar
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 7

Since this seems to be a thing on this forum, I figured I might as well do it to. what is yawls opinion on this progression?

WE 100 grit

WE 200 grit

WE 400 grit

WE 600 grit

WE 800 grit

WE 1000 grit

WE 1500 Grit

WE Aluminum film 5 micron

WE diamond films 3 micron

WE 1/.5 micron strop pack

NotVerySharp
    Participant
    • Topics: 33
    • Replies: 56

I would like to hear also!

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

This will work. But personally I would also put in the 1 micron diamond films and perhaps even the 0.5 micron diamond films. Recall that strops are less agressive than diamond films, partly because the diamond particles get embedded in the leather.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

That is a very similar progression to what I use and it produces what I consider to be a mirrored polish (highly reflective, can read text in the reflection clearly). You could probably get a true mirrored polish (no visible scratches to the naked eye) with patience and good technique using this set of abrasives. I would give a +1 to Mark’s comment about the strops. It might be good to add the 4 / 2 micron strops or some additional lapping films if you want to get the most out of the 1 / 0.5 micron strops.

Depending on your intended use of the blade, you might well find that the application of a micro bevel at say 800 or 1000 grit will make the knife more useful while maintaining the visual impact of the highly polished bevel. For my EDC knives I like going to 800 grit and finishing with a bit of stropping, but I like a more refined edge for my kitchen knives.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.