Advanced Search

Greetings everyone!

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat Greetings everyone!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Edge Science
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 6

Hello, my name is Holland from Oregon and I recently ordered my first Wicked Edge. I am looking forward to getting some sharpening done for myself, friends and family etc, perhaps a little side hustle action too if I get good enough. I have been doing a lot of research here and I appreciate all of the wisdom and time so many of you are willing to share here. Thanks everybody!

• This topic was modified 5 years, 8 months ago by Edge Science.
    MarcH
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2733

Welcome to our Wicked Edge Forum and Community, Edge Science.  Which model you got coming?

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Edge Science
    Participant

Hi there MarcH, I jumped in with all feets and got a Gen 3 Pro. I’m quite excited about it too I must admit!

Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

I have the gen 3 pro as well and it is a beautiful unit. Welcome to the forum from another (former) Oregonian.

Edge Science
    Participant

Thanks Organic, great to be here! Where did you end up, do you miss OR much? I was going to ask in the main forum, I searched to no avail but is there a downside to getting the 12″ guide rods and just leaving them on all the time even when not sharpening my ESEE Junglas? It would seem to me the extra length would made your strokes more stable even on smaller knives as you wouldn’t have to worry about getting too close to the end of the stock rods. Just a thought from someone with zero experience thus far…

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

I am currently in Massachusetts. Yes, I miss the beautiful, green, and temperate Willamette Valley. Between the humidity in the summer, the piles of snow in the winter, and the absurd cost of living it is no contest when considering which place I prefer. Unfortunately, the industry in which I am employed is heavily focused in the Boston area, so I will probably spend the rest of my career in the Northeast. I completely understand why so many people move away when they reach retirement age.

Regarding the 12 inch rods: I use them on larger knives only. The longer rods can get kind of cumbersome when using alternating strokes because they can hit each other. For smaller knives the 8 inch rods are a good size, but that is not to say that you couldn’t use the 12 inch rods for everything.

MarcH
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2733

I agree completely with Organic.  Another thing to consider is, your rod arm length only needs to be long enough to allow for the full range of motion on the stone’s length up and across the knife edge.  Any rod length beyond that the stone doesn’t slide up and over is extra length.  Too long a rod you then need to use a stone stop to prevent the stone from sliding up and off over the edge.  When that occurs it becomes easy to collide the stone down against the knife edge and cause damage to the steel on the way back down the rod.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

• This reply was modified 5 years, 8 months ago by MarcH.
    Edge Science
    Participant

Thanks a bunch guys, this is the info that I really enjoy, people with experience sharing their wisdom. Those points you raised about the longer rods hadn’t occurred to me I am so glad I asked. I reckon I will stick with the stock gen 3 rods until I get the hang of it on my smaller knives.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.