Advanced Search

got one in the mail today

Recent Forums Main Forum Knife Specific Discussion got one in the mail today

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    tuffy braithwaite
    Participant
    • Topics: 184
    • Replies: 360

my first
    one of my farmer fare customers sent it to me.

suggestions and keep in mind, i own zero water stones for WE, but i have them – standard ones for hand sharpening.

my paddles after 800/1000 are…ceramics….1200/1600 and coarse/fine…………leather strops on paddles and some diam. spray from ken.

i do still have one shapton 10,000 i found a few weeks back for EP.

please take and look and let me know my choices if any.

thanks

Attachments:
    tuffy braithwaite
    Participant

how in the heck did this get in welcome mat.

i posted in knife specsifcs

tuffy braithwaite
    Participant
    Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

I have never sharpened a straight razor on the WEPS, so I can’t directly recommend anything specific.
    I have read a bunch on the various razor sharpening forums. They are a great resource for understanding different stones.

Many of those folk will go no further than something like the Norton 5K stone for “honing” then strop from there.

The angle for sharpening should be set by the shoulder on the spine. The one you have looks like it has been severely worn.

I wish you luck. I think razor sharpening is a whole different field form knife sharpening. The big reason is that … it seems, everyone has different preferences for an edge on a razor. It is so dependent on ones skin and beard type. The people that use straight razors for shaving seem to need to develop a process that works for them and do it themselves. They also strop before and after each shave.

Personally, I will not take a razor sharpening job. It is too hard to get a satisfied customer… 🙁

I would consider dropping Tom of Jende Industries a line… and visiting his blog.
    http://www.jendeindustries.com/

Jed Bowen
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 57

Max
    Just watch the video clay has posted and try it like that, he tells you how to set the arms and where to set the blade. The only thing you want to watch is that you get the stones to rest on the spine and against the blade. The angle cube will not be needed as the bevel will not be even when you do this. Do not push too hard as this will flex the blade and possibly crack the blade. Start with the 400 grit or 600 grit and take it slow.

I have sharpened dozens of my straight razors on the WE and it works fjust fine but it throws off the bevel for sharpening on wet stones.

Now that Pakistan blade is absolute junk. I have tried on 2 of the Pakistan blades and the steel is cheap and the blade flexes badly. The edge gets bad micro chips even with care.

These Pakistani blades will not even sharpen up on wet stones as the spine is not even. It is thin twards handle and thick at the end and will not lay flat on the stones

Do not worry about new good quality or good old antiques as the steel can handle sharpening. They take a great edge on the WE and will be hair popping sharp with time and practice. A good straight razor blade to practice on is one from an antique shop that mat cost you $10-$20

If the blade is thick enough then try it. If it is a paper thin cutting edge then politely return it.

This is just my opinion and my experience with Pakistani steel.

Hope this helps.
    Jed.

tuffy braithwaite
    Participant

Max
    Just watch the video clay has posted and try it like that, he tells you how to set the arms and where to set the blade. The only thing you want to watch is that you get the stones to rest on the spine and against the blade. The angle cube will not be needed as the bevel will not be even when you do this. Do not push too hard as this will flex the blade and possibly crack the blade. Start with the 400 grit or 600 grit and take it slow.

I have sharpened dozens of my straight razors on the WE and it works fjust fine but it throws off the bevel for sharpening on wet stones.

Now that Pakistan blade is absolute junk. I have tried on 2 of the Pakistan blades and the steel is cheap and the blade flexes badly. The edge gets bad micro chips even with care.

These Pakistani blades will not even sharpen up on wet stones as the spine is not even. It is thin twards handle and thick at the end and will not lay flat on the stones

Do not worry about new good quality or good old antiques as the steel can handle sharpening. They take a great edge on the WE and will be hair popping sharp with time and practice. A good straight razor blade to practice on is one from an antique shop that mat cost you $10-$20

If the blade is thick enough then try it. If it is a paper thin cutting edge then politely return it.

This is just my opinion and my experience with Pakistani steel.

Hope this helps.
    Jed.

thanks for the reply jed, i have watched vid twice, once last week when i knew he was mailing it and again today, but like u said and i suspected, when i saw pakistan i knew that ticket was weak in many respects.

i will give it a try and see how i get along with it.
    thanks again

Phil Pasteur
    Participant

Max

Now that Pakistan blade is absolute junk. I have tried on 2 of the Pakistan blades and the steel is cheap and the blade flexes badly.

Hope this helps.
    Jed.

Have you ever sharpened anyone else’s razors?
    Just curious.

I thought to say something about the Pakistani stamp…
    Junk.

Jed Bowen
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 57

Phil
    No I have not sharpened anyone else’s straight razors as no one I know wants to get the best shave around with some risk. I even put straight razor prices on my price list. $8.00 for the WE or $15 to sharpen to 8000 grit water stones and strop.

People are just too afraid to use them any more or are too lazy to try or too lazy to keep up the maintenance on them.

Phil Pasteur
    Participant

I was sort of making that point.
    If someone is asking someone else to sharpen their razor… they have no clue about using them, or maintaining them.
    They will never be happy about what you do!
    I find it a no win situation.
    Hence, I will not sharpen razors to use on someone else’s face..
    I don’t use a straight razor… though I have several. I am not dedicated enough to make it worthy of my time..
    I admit this!

Ken Buzbee
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 393

I don’t use a straight razor… though I have several. I am not dedicated enough to make it worthy of my time..
    I admit this!

As do I. I used a straight exclusively for 3-4 years. Got pretty good with it and the honing and stropping that goes with it. But it’s more work than I care to invest in shaving. I sold most of my straights. Kept a couple, you know, just in case 🙂

These days it’s an iKon OSS with Med Prep blades, Martin de Candre soap and Rooney Finest brush (32mm!). DFS with no muss, no fuss.

Ken

tuffy braithwaite
    Participant

I admit this!

As do I. I used a straight exclusively for 3-4 years. Got pretty good with it and the honing and stropping that goes with it. But it’s more work than I care to invest in shaving. I sold most of my straights. Kept a couple, you know, just in case 🙂

These days it’s an iKon OSS with Med Prep blades, Martin de Candre soap and Rooney Finest brush (32mm!). DFS with no muss, no fuss.

Ken[/quote]
    i do same as you – different soap and blades

i like it

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

I both shave (albeit rarely nowadays) and hone straights for my customers (I charge $20 ea). I have played around with all sorts of different combinations (including what you have) and nothing was able to get a keen enough edge to pass the HHT, which is a must in my book (even though others say it’s not). What I finally had to settle on was 800/2k & 5k/10k choseras, 1um/.3um lapping film,and finish on .125 cbn. I sharpen all my straights on my weps. Keep us posted as to your results!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.