Advanced Search

Got my first mirror edge tonight!

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Got my first mirror edge tonight!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Thomas Meeks
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 17

Finally received my ceramics and was able to get a mirror edge on my Spyderco Pacific Salt after stopping at 1000 grit just the other day. It was very cool to see the edge just refine in the progression.

I will get some pics sometime this weekend and post back.

I also have a funny little “gotcha” to post about my WEPS. More coming up…

Martin Singer
    Participant
    • Replies: 22

Finally received my ceramics and was able to get a mirror edge on my Spyderco Pacific Salt after stopping at 1000 grit just the other day. It was very cool to see the edge just refine in the progression.

I will get some pics sometime this weekend and post back.

I also have a funny little “gotcha” to post about my WEPS. More coming up…

Great work! Doesn’t take long with this system. Can’t wait to hear when you reach your next milestone.
    Marty

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

I remember my first mirror edge, better than my first marriage. 😀

Now everyone’s waiting for the “gotcha” follow up….

cbw

Thomas Meeks
    Participant

Sorry to keep ya’ll waiting!

I’ll start off with the gothca…
    What’s wrong with this pic?

Yep, the stones labels are wrong. Not only that, but I’m pretty sure the 800’s are on the 1000 grit side and the 1000’s are on the 800 side.

So, getting my first mirror edge took a bit longer than normal. I had the Pro Pack I on order and they shipped me everything but I had also ordered the 1200/1600 ceramics set which was still on back order.
    While I waited on my ceramics I got started right away practicing using my new weps system. I could see what everybody has meant when they said the stones had to “break-in” because i was getting sharp knives but they seemed still very toothy. It was about my 4th or 5th knife when I started to suspect a discrepancy when I got to 1000. It almost seemed to get “rougher”. So this week on Wed I got the email that my ceramics were shipping and since I had been considering adding the new MicroFine ceramics I quickly called the W.E. office and Kyle answered. I ID’d myself and asked him if it was too late to throw the extra ceramics in the box and he said No. So I paid up and then asked him about my suspicion of the 800/1000 stones being switched. He said he’d also throw in a little “scope” to help me see the grain on the blade, and if I still suspected they were switched they would make it right once the stones came off backorder.

To my surprise the ceramics and the scope arrived on Friday! Cool, now I can go home and try them out!

When I got home I grabbed the Pacific Salt and started back at 600, when I got to the 800/1000 stones that’s when I noticed it! “Holy cow, they ARE switched” Not only are the stones on the wrong side but even the indicators are wrong!!! Well at least I felt better about my suspicion.

So I progressed correctly through the 800/1000 stones and the 1200/1600 & MicroFine cermamics, then the strops! I could see the mirror starting on the Fine side of the MicroFine’s and then it just came alive once I hit it with the strops.

Now, don’t get me wrong. I didn’t get a “Perfect” edge on this blade, but I got a pretty darn good one. I need to perfect my technique a lot more and I can tell the “Play” in the rod joint does affect the angle as much as 1.5 degrees. I need to get that play taken care of. I also need to practice with the lightness of my strokes so I don’t have those random pseudo-large scratches on the edge that are hard to polish out.

Anyway, here are some pics. I’m somewhat a photographer at heart, so I pride myself on good pictures and these aren’t the best because I was in a hurry. I’ve never photo’d Knives before! LOL

BassLake Dan
    Participant
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 110

.. I’m somewhat a photographer at heart, so I pride myself on good pictures and.. .

and probably “working on ‘good blades’ as well”. A lot of the same points of view (no pun intended..) apply to the two. Interest and attention to technical details, careful observation of what you are doing throughout the ‘end to end’ of the process, and a keen eye that can discern subtle changes as various techniques are applied to the work …

I think we will be hearing more from you soon. Keep us up to date !

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Great edge and great photographs! I hope you’ll post more photos.

Incidentally, how could you see the 800 and 1000 stones had been switchend? Have you got any photographs schowing that?

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

nice pics! great job man!

Thomas Meeks
    Participant

Great edge and great photographs! I hope you’ll post more photos.

Incidentally, how could you see the 800 and 1000 stones had been switchend? Have you got any photographs schowing that?

Thanks! I definitely will once I get a bit more time to sharpen another one.

It was more of a “feel”, though I also believe I can actually see the difference with the blind eye as well.
    Kyle at the WE office also included a small 60x scope to check. I need to phone up and let them know my findings.

Thomas Meeks
    Participant

nice pics! great job man!

Much appreciated!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.