Advanced Search

Got My 50/80 Diamond Stones

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Jack Montrose
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 67

Got a new addition to my PPII yesterday 50/80 Diamond Stones. Tried them out on my Son’s Emerson Tanto; re-profiled to 31 deg. (one side only) using the new stones then progressed through the micro fine ceramics. Ended up stropping with 5 mic, 3.5 mic, 1 mic and .5 mic. 20 strokes each, here are the results;

Just keeps getting better every knife I do now. The 50/80 diamonds work outstanding, removes material much faster than the 100 diamonds. Sharp, Sharp Sharp…. :cheer:

Attachments:
    Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

Looks great! Be careful it is real easy to get carried away with them. I’d say you have though! B)

Jack Montrose
    Participant

Yes Eamon, you are correct, I used very light pressure (hardly any at all) and the edge looked like a saw blade after the 80 grit. I spent a little extra time with the 100 and 200 diamonds to smooth it out a bit, but it came out pretty good. I will be using them for all my re-profile tasks and can recommend them highly. I can’t imagine requiring anything harsher. B)

DARRELL ALLEN
    Participant
    • Topics: 15
    • Replies: 113

nice edge Jack B)…………….question on the Tanto blades ? Did you have any difficulties with the motion needed to sharpen this style of blade, or did you just pretty much use the same heel to tip strokes one normally would to sharpen any other knife ?

Jack Montrose
    Participant

Darrell, I sharpened with an up and down motion but, did each edge sepparatly. I set the blade centered on the long edge doing it first then moved to the tip edge. I saw Clay do a tanto that way and it works perfect. If you roll the stone from one edge to the other you will loose the separation. B) Of corse I used an up stroke only on the strops.

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Looks great! I think you nailed the transition between the two edges perfectly.

One thing you can do, if you don’t want your edge looking like a “saw blade”, 🙂 is to monitor your progress with the 50/80 stones, and switch to the 100g right before you reach the edge.

Nice job! :woohoo:

Jack Montrose
    Participant

That’s a great idea, I hadn’t thought of that. Thank you… 🙂 Here is a link to Clay’s “how to sharpen a Tanto blade” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjJ2WloAStg just in case someone is interested.

Jack

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.