Advanced Search

Glider rod angle screws:

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat Glider rod angle screws:

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Wayne Nicklin
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 39

What is the secret in keeping these screws tight. They tend to loosen very quickly. Possible just a slight dap of lock tight?

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant
    • Topics: 64
    • Replies: 687

Yes, a dab of Purple Loctite helps. Others have bought two screws of the same size (10-32 machine screw I think :unsure: ) with a head that takes an Allen key for a tighter grip. Check this out with Clay, he can tell you for sure the correct screw to buy.

Cheers
    Leo

Steven Pinson
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 49

My solution to the slidebar issue was this:

I flipped the slidebar 180 degrees and got some M4 cap heads to replace the knurled offering. I then filed the nose of the cap heads flat (for max slidebar contact patch) and I use a 4mm allen wrench to tighten.

Works like a charm and allows you to tap the slide units minutely for small angle changes while being able to retighten easily (keeps a small amount of friction on the bar). I have not needed to loctite the screws and they hold well. JUST FYI

EDITED: I went back and checked … I used M4 hardware instead of M5.

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

I did the same thing, but did not flip the bar 180 degrees and used the stock screws. I just filed the tip of the stock screws flat. I did use the purple locktite, but that really did not make much difference. It will keep the crews from loosening on their own, but that is not the real problem. The problem is getting them tight enough so the slider will not move during sharpening. I have a small set of pliers that I use to tighten the stock screws. Once good and tight, they don’t loosen and the slider stays put.

I did lube the bar with some dry silicon lube. This makes it easier to make small adjustments with the slider screw snugged down a bit. Once the proper angle is set, I just tighten the screw about an eight of a turn with the pliers.

I never have been able to just hand tighten the screws (without using the preset dimples) and have the slider stay put.

BTW, I think the replacement cap screws are # 10 X 32 …IIRC

Here is a link to a post with photos:

http://www.wickededgeusa.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=8&id=2870&Itemid=63#2870

Phil

Christopher Staples
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 11

#1 Locktite for the main jaw screw / glue the thing down so it stays stable
    #2 springs for the screws on the angle bar ( stole some of dads carbie springs from his race kit)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.