Advanced Search

Giving a shout out to Oldawan Tools

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpening as a Business Giving a shout out to Oldawan Tools

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

Hi guys,
    I just wanted to commend Bob Nash from Oldawan Tools for fabulous customer service. I recently had a problem where my two of my chosera stones started to “curl up” on my paddles. It looked a lot like dishing except the adhesive strip was also bending?
    As it turned out this was my fault! I was rinsing my stones out and then letting them dry by my kitchen window. Who knew the sun would do this to the stones?
    I made a phone call to Bob and he told me to send them in right away! We figured out what went wrong and he still replaced them FREE of charge. Not only did he do it free? I called him and informed him a job had come up for them and he rushed them back to me two day mail!
    Bob is the dealer that I bought my WE from. So he is the guy who walked me through the learning curve and finally on to making money with the system. He never once has been to busy and has even called back on weekends and has emailed back and forth way after hours! The customer service has never been anything less then outstanding!

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

Yes avoid sun do not dry artificially and do not allow them to freeze in the winter and do not put into cardboard boxes unless completely dry best to store them in an open airy place away from the sun or heating vents; and avoid hot water when cleaning them. Best to store them so they are not touching one another . I store my bench stones on wooden strips so they do not touch the bottom of the tray with chocks between then so they are a good half inch apart and off the floor of the tray.
    Look what the weather does to concrete.

Definitely great customer service from Bob above and beyond normal service levels.
    Chefsknivestogo also bend over backwards to give a good service .

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant

Yes avoid sun do not dry artificially and do not allow them to freeze in the winter and do not put into cardboard boxes unless completely dry best to store them in an open airy place away from the sun or heating vents; and avoid hot water when cleaning them. Best to store them so they are not touching one another . I store my bench stones on wooden strips so they do not touch the bottom of the tray with chocks between then so they are a good half inch apart and off the floor of the tray.
    Look what the weather does to concrete. Unfortunately for me? what seems so obvious to some, just seems allude me?

Chefsknivestogo also bend over backwards to give a good service .

I have read this a few times now? I can not make my mind up as to go with their “Konosuke” brand or Get a “Murray Carter”? I have a Carter neck knife showing up Friday and that should push me over the top? Anyone with a opinion here PLEASE feel free to chime in?
    Thank you Leo! Your always willing to help!

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

I just wanted to commend Bob Nash from Oldawan Tools for fabulous customer service.

And he’s very knowledgeable and helpful on this forum, too!

I can not make my mind up as to go with their “Konosuke” brand or Get a “Murray Carter”?

I have no Murray Carter knife, so I cannot comment on that. Though I do wonder sometimes whether you don’t pay quite a bit for the name, too. I do have two Konosuke’s and I can recommend them highly. Great steel (both the HH and HD), great geometry, great finish. Nothing left to be desired :cheer: .

P.S. It’s a secret, but HH is either Sandvik 13C26 or 19C27 (I suspect the latter). Great for sharpeners!

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Leo Barr
    Participant

Lets see a picture & a brief review of it when you get a chance (Carter neck knife).

Marc Simon
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 15

I bought my Pro Pack set up from Bob As well. Stand up guy. Due to my debit card restrictions I had to break up the payment over a few days but Bob sent me me my package the day of the first payment. Great place to order with outstanding customer service.
    Thank you Bob.
    Marc

Ryan
    Participant
    • Topics: 13
    • Replies: 21

:cheer: Hey there! Newbie as of today! I just ordered my long awaited WEPS from Bob this week. Been waiting for this day for 2 years! Couldn’t pass up the free shipping and Bob’s customer service is awesome so far. Never have received a confirmation email as descriptive and helpful as Bob’s.

Counting down the days…thanks Bob!

Fred Hermann
    Participant
    • Topics: 30
    • Replies: 188

Does Bob / Oldawan tools have a website?
    I have not been able to find one.

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant

Does Bob / Oldawan tools have a website?
    I have not been able to find one.

Fred,
    Here it is

http://www.oldawan.com/

Have fun with the new toys!
    Eamon

Todd Klimek
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 2

I agree with everyone.

New to WEPS and don’t even have mine yet, due Tuesday. I had a problem with ordering from “another website” and was about to give up due to poor communication, so I called Bob up. After speaking with Bob, I would say he is totally helpful and a stand up guy, Kudos to you Bob. Someone I would definitely want to do business with.

I am hoping that my kit comes through on Tuesday; I’ve already had a conversation with that vendor who has indicated that 2 stones would be shipping separately, and based on other feedback observed on this forum for that vendor, I hope I do not run into problems.

I already told Bob I’m running to him if I do!

Cheers…

Todd in Chicago

Fred Hermann
    Participant
    • Topics: 30
    • Replies: 188

Thanks all, no idea why…but my browser couldn’t find him.

Bradley
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 6

Kudos here as well to Bob. He’s helped me on a few occasions and went above and beyond what anyone else would have done.

I ordered two pairs of glass paddles for taping paper on and it works perfectly. I didn’t even know it was an option until Bob spent awhile with me on the phone.

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Here’s another shout out to Bob… He runs a jam up business that all of us could take notes from!

About a year or year and aa half ago I ordered 2 paddles outfitted with the 5k and 10k chosera combination… Well just the other day I noticed that on one of my 5k stones the ends had started separating from the aluminum plate underneath… I pushed the end down to see if there was any flex (stupid me) and check out what happened (in the pic)…. Well I contacted Bob and he immediately offered to replace not only one, but BOTH of my 5k stones just “so they would be the same thickness”. That’s jam up customer service!

Leo Barr
    Participant

Firstly excellent service for Oldawan Tools.

Not meaning to teach anyone how to suck eggs – some pointers on care
    Only use cold water on them do not soak for too long.
    Dry in a cool place with air circulation around the stone .
    Do not dry in sunlight since this will cause uneven drying which could cause damage .
    Do not store in a place where is may go below freezing temperatures
    Do not store damp especially in cardboard since mould can grow .
    Note how concrete walls crack over time due to weathering – extreme temperatures etc

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant

I gotta tell you I’m on my feet and applauding Bob! You see Bob is out of town this weekend for a knife show. I called Saturday cause I have worn out my 400/600 stones. All at once one of the 400’s just went bald? So Bob in an attempt to save me time and not waiting till he got back to the office sent me one of two sets he had with him from the show. I’m telling you if everyone ran their company like Bob does his, this would be a much better world!!!
    As far as the stone wearing out, I think it was about time? I have had it for a year and average about 3-4 knives a day. I actually think I did pretty good. I think it will be time to order the 100/200 pretty soon too. They make me about $20+ a day, so at $65 for replacements it is a cheap investment. 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.