Advanced Search

Gentlemen’s Knives

Recent Forums Main Forum Knife Photos Gentlemen’s Knives

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Leo James Mitchell
    Participant
    • Topics: 64
    • Replies: 687

I looked at my collection the other day and saw a wonderful group of blades that one could rely on as back-up in any situation. Some are nigh on indestructible! Then I thought to myself, Leo, you don’t need indestructible anymore, you need a knife for an old gentleman; one that you can carry without frightening everyone who sees it. I decided t take a look around and stopped short when I came to French knives from the city of Theirs in France. Oh my goodness! I found several knives immediately that screamed elegance and that one could use anytime in the kitchen or dining-room. The one I chose was Le Trappeur from Coutellerie Chambriard in Theirs.
    Talk about service, I e-mailed the owner Philippe Chambriard on Friday evening last and had the knife today by noon hour. BTW DHL is so fast , they make UPS look like they are standing still.
    The knife came in a beautifully designed leather case that is to die for.

The model I bought has wonderful Juniper slabs over stainless steel liners. Juniper has wonderfully variegated grain and has a delightful peppery smell. Did I say that the knife is completely hand-made an so no two are exactly alike? The craftsmanship is awesome, if I can use that overworked word. The back of the SS bolster has very artful file-work and the inscribed letter T that all knives made in Theirs carry.
    The blade is elegantly shaped and razor sharp. I used it to cut some French baguette and some cheese for supper and nobody sucked in their breath like when I haul out one of my killing knives! LOL! The shape of the whole is exactly elegant and non-threatening.

I will do a review of this knife later, with all the pertinent information. I have only had it for less than a dy and already, I am in love. I will soon be on to my next French knife from this cutler.

Cheers
    Leo

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Beautiful!

-Clay

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

This coutellerie?

😀

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

Oh my goodness Mark! You have been there…what a great shot of the place. That city produces some of the finest cutlery around today! Thank you for that fine photograph! Did you buy a French knife while you were there?

Cheers
    Leo

Jende Industries
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 342

What a nice knife, Leo! I think it suits you well Unique and refined, with a touch of juniper! B)

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

Well how nice Tom! You mean you think I am a gentleman? LOL! You are too kind. A touch of juniper eh! Does that mean I can be a bit peppery from time to time! 😉

Cheers mate
    Leo

Mark76
    Participant

Yes, I visited Thiers and Laguiole last summer. I am interested in Laguiole knives, the traditional French knives, and I have a small collection of them. (Slightly larger after our visit 🙂 ).

Thiers is the knife-making capital of France, it is to France what Solingen is to Germany. And the majority of the knives they make are Laguiole knives, so we went to Thiers first.

It is a typical French town with a beautiful medieval center.

Funnily enough, Coutellerie Chambriard was the first coutellerie we encountered. So I started with some window shopping :-). Here you see Laguiole knives, Le Thiers knives as well as some other knives.

When we entered the shop, I didn’t know what I saw. I had never seen so many knives together.

And there are many more coutelleries in Thiers. Sometimes these are shops that sell knives made by others, sometimes they only sell their own knives.

This is the shop next door to Chambriard. It is not only knives they sell…

They also have some nice Le Their knives.

One of my favourite coutelleries was by Robert David. I knew his name, but I didn’t know he was in Thiers.

This is one of the reasons I like his work:

And here’s another one:

When I showed so much interest in the knives, the old man himself was brought to the shop. It was really nice talking to him, although quite hard, since my French is not very good and he didn’t speak a word English. At first he thought I was American and he was quite American-minded, so he proudly showed me a knife he had made for (or in cooperation with) Buck, if I am not mistaken for their 125th anniversary. More out of curiosity than out of real interest, I took a couple of pictures of the knife that indeed looks like a crossover of a hunting knife and a Laguiole.

And then my girlfriend gave me a Le Thiers knife by Robert David. (She still wonders sometimes how on earth she could have given me a knife 🙂 .) The handle is made of horn, which is the traditional material.

In Thiers all the workshops of the knife makers we visited were closed, unfortunately. (It was Monday and we were in France…)

But the next day, in Laguiole, which is two hours south of Thiers, we visited two workshops. I can guarantee you, Leo, there is a lot of craftsmanship in your knife. Obviously they use machines (200 years ago they used machines as well, like a water-powered grinding stone), but a lot is still being done by hand.

Back at the camping place we used our knives for what they are meant for.

Traditional French knives are not really hard-use knives. Originally they were used by farmers and shepherds as, what we would say now, EDC’s. And French being French, food is an important part of every day. Even today it is quite customary to bring your own Laguiole to a restaurant.

And Leo, do you know the story behind the Le Thiers knife? Somewhere at the end of the 1980’s interest in traditional French knives suddenly increased. For the knife makers in Thiers this was good news, since they sold a lot more Laguiole knives. However, their market share actually decreased, because the knife making business in Laguiole itself, which was nearly dead until then, was also revived. Worse, Pakistani and Chinese knife makers had discovered the Laguiole knife and made lots of cheap copies of it. The problem was that the Laguiole knife is only a type of knife and not a registered trademark, or A.O.C. as the French say. So in the middle of the 1990’s a couple of knifemakers from Thiers came together, designed a knife and decided to register it properly. And that is the Le Thiers knife now. It is truly a beautiful knife and can only be made in Thiers. Congratulations!

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

Mark, what a priceless post my friend! Superb shots…I can practically smell the Camembert cheese and fresh croissants from here. Are you from Canada Mark? Did I ask you this already and if so please forgive my old fart memory.
    Yes I knew the story behind the Thiers brotherhood. Gosh I wish I were well enough to travel and infact if I could I would retire to France. Thanks again mate!

warm regards
    Leo

Jende Industries
    Participant

:woohoo: What a wonderful trip! :woohoo: Great pictures, and the memory of the trip will last forever!

I want to go to France now…

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

I would LOVE to make that trip! Thanks for the great post Mark.

-Clay

Mark76
    Participant

I am not from Canada, Leo (although technically I am: I was in Toronto last fall 😉 ). I am from The Netherlands. But the French border is only four hours by car from where I live. So I have been on holiday in France quite often. In fact, we are going there in two weeks, skiing in the Alps.

My love for knives is actually only three years old. We were on holiday in the Provence when my old Swiss army knife broke down. And there, in a sports shop, I saw this beautiful pocket knife. As you’ll probably guess, it was a Laguiole…

So our visit to Thiers last summer was my first visit there, but it’ll certainly not be the last one. They organize a knife show there every year, which is one of the largest of Europe and I plan on attending next spring. There is a nice thread about it at knifeforums: http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/903399/

Anyway, since the pictures seem to be appreciated and since I hijacked your topic anyway already :-), here are some more pictures.

Centre of Thiers:

Lots of knives…

One of the largest and best-known Laguiole knife makers, Fontenille-Pataud. Looks like a garage, though :-).

And finally some photographs from the town of Laguiole.

Forge de Laguiole, who got knife-making back in the town of Laguiole. True craftmanship.

Assembly…

Grinding

In Main Street in Laguiole (the town is hardly more than Main Street) there is a large number of coutelliers next to each other, each making their own knives (though they are supplied with parts from the same “Fabrique Artisinale”). During summer, some of them finish polishing knives on the street.

And, finally, using a knife…

Jende Industries
    Participant

Wow!

If you keep this teasing up Mark, and I’ll have to report the thread to Leo!!!

😆 😆 😆

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

Wow!

If you keep this teasing up Mark, and I’ll have to report the thread to Leo!!!

😆 😆 😆

You don’t have to report him! I see him and Mark I order you to…please stop because you are killing me here with your wonderful photography. Great stuff mate. Very impressive!

With appreciation
    Leo the Francophile

John Herron
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 39

leomitch
    That knife is so nice!
    What a cool thread with all the super photos… :cheer:
    Thanks Jdee

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

For those who were wondering about this knife’s stats, here they are:
    -the 9 cm blade is made from Sandvik 12C27 Swedish stainless steel. This is the most used steel in all French knives. It is a happy-medium steel with good edge retention and easy to sharpen.The blade had a very sharp edge out of the box, but a few swipes on my large strop with Green Compound and it was extremely sharp. I will be putting my own edge on it after a bit, but for right now it is good.
    -the bolster is stainless steel and the fit and finish is superior. The Juniper wood(I love the peppery smell) and the steel mate nearly seamlessly.The lock mechanism in integrated into the file-work on the back-strap of the bolster. You can see it standing proud of the rest in the picture of the file-work. The blade opens manually and needs no nail-nick to do it as there is ample metal for one’s fingers. The unlock is two-handed, press the unlock button with one hand and fold the blade with the other. Like many folding knives, one must be careful to not snap the blade shut sharply as there is a risk of the blade edge touching the bolster inside and possibly blunting the edge. This is the only flaw I have found in the knife and it doesn’t bother me at all. I am scrupulous about my edges and that baby is closed softly each time and I constantly touch up the edge with a strop. Soon the WEPS will put an even sturdier edge on this knife.
    -the closed length is 13 cm and the total length open is 22 cm. It weighs about 4 ounces.

All in all this is not only a beautiful knife and well crafted but it is made of the finest materials. Although it is labelled a ‘gentleman’s knife’, it is sturdy enough to do duty around the campfire as well as the kitchen and dining table, provided one doesn’t try to chop or baton wood as you would with a fixed blade. Unlike most of my knives, the women in my family love it because it is so well crafted and for once I didn’t get, “What, another knife!” Instead an appreciative smile.
    I have used it everywhere in the house from opening packages to thin slicing pork roast to butterflying chicken breasts and finally at the table with dinner. I love it! Try one, you could do a lot worse but not much better!

Leo

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.