Advanced Search

GEN 3PRO base

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 6

Ive only  had my gen 3 pro month or so couldn’t leave it alone , heres what i did, twenty-five lbs of maple cutting board ,brass inserts threaded for original hex heads, aluminum pegs bent to 50 degrees . pegs swivel for grit progression . ever have to walk away for a day or so ? I almost never finish a knife in one sitting always something to do.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

Cool setup! Did you order yours without the shelving unit, or did you remove it yourself?

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have the base chose this for hight split plexy rite through center of holes so it go back on, same bolts and nine rubber feet it is solid !!

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I can take apart in couple minutes ,put back together slap in carry case and go to camp easy.

Expidia
    Participant
    • Topics: 47
    • Replies: 339

Nice setup! Good job.  I did something similar with my gen pro III set up.  Being that I use it on top of my craftsman tool boxes.  I found using the pro III with the shelves installed was too high for my arms to use comfortably.  So I removed the shelves, but still used the base bolted together with 4 special flat head type bolts that I got in home depot (like 30 cents each)

Using the base along with the top part adds a lot of weight to the system and I dont need to screw the system into yet another base. I also bought at the depot an 8×10 sheet of Lexan that I cut in half width wise and drilled two holes to remount and reused the rubber strip that pulls off the old one.

So far I’ve been keeping the stones in their original plastic bags lined up in one of the drawers. I have to brush each off before use becasue the stones have dual grits which contaminate each other in the bg.  But brushing off and switching stones adds wasted time removing and replacing with every stone switch back into their little bags.  I’m thinking about buying a peg system like you did that another member (MarcH) here sells, but Im concerned about stone contamination.  I’m still on the fence and I was waiting to see how many stones and paddles I’ll end up with (its still growing).

Hmmm, I think I spot a digital micrometer on the left there. Mine arrived yesterday.  $18 on Amazon with like 3,300 reviews.  I dont know how they do this for $18 its a Gem (Neiko 01407A) . . .

But Im not seeing the USB digital microscope and a laptop . . . just trying to help you spend more money in case you missed this swell sharpening tool . . . . hahaha

Attachments:
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Well the bench I’m using is my reloading bench i have all of four feet for space, board will also hang on wall with stones still on, thats wy the 50 degree angle on pegs, cutting board is dimpled for thirteen more sets of stones so lots more room laptop is here USB micro is on the way , So I’m already spending it like a pro to the tune of  $1400 and just like the energizer bunny I keep going and going .

Anonymous
    Inactive

Don’t know what happened there up side down ,try this one .

MarcH
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2733

So far I’ve been keeping the stones in their original plastic bags lined up in one of the drawers. I have to brush each off before use becasue the stones have dual grits which contaminate each other in the bag. But brushing off and switching stones adds wasted time removing and replacing with every stone switch back into their little bags. I’m thinking about buying a peg system like you did that another member (MarcH) here sells, but Im concerned about stone contamination.

Contamination or really cross contamination of stones with grit from other stones and grinding dust has never been a real issue for me…except when using the very fine Diamond Lapping Films, (i.e., 1.0µ, 0.5µ or 0.1µ). I believe just exercising clean work habits is enough to avoid almost any chance of cross contamination.  The real issue we’ve found with the lapping films are the inconsistency in grit or abrasive particle size from the manufacturer, not contamination.  The strops with the sticky diamond emulsions should be an area of more concern.  I think bagging them would be riskier to contamination through direct physical contact inside the bag, more so, then spacing them out on a “Rack-it”.

When I get down to the finishing/polishing steps I wash my hands after using one grit before moving down to the next and wipe my blade surface clean of steel dust with an alcohol wipe between grit changes, too. (Even though at such fine grits the dust throw-off is really very minimal).

I use a USB Microscope at high power (250X) for visual inspection throughout all my sharpening progressions and I haven’t seen any signs of stray scratches I could attribute to contamination on the abrasive medium.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Expidia
    Participant
    • Topics: 47
    • Replies: 339

Haha I didn’t think you would miss out on a USB scope.  I blew through the $1400 mark too very easily.

Now I find myself hunting for anything in my house with an edge to sharpen.  I’ve been eyeing those little rotary blades on my Norelco shaver.  Just trying to figure out how to mount them in the Tormec adapter!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.