Advanced Search

Gen 3 pro w/ LAA – first impressions

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Pat
    Participant
    • Topics: 16
    • Replies: 114

Just got the Gen 3 and purchased the LAA.  I am seasoned on the Gen 2 and still have it, but this is my first time using the LAA as well.

I sharpened 5 knives this weekend in varied lengths, widths, angles, etc….

The unit is perfect.  After getting used to all the bells and whistles and the ease of setup, I was able to move from knife to knife in only seconds.

I even had a Spyderco PM w/ uneven bevels and used the micro adj and it worked just fine.  I admit that I used some slim pliers to slightly (and I mean slightly) snug up the tension on the lock knob after adjusting the micro adj and there was no play nor loosening.  I don’t see the need for a modification to increase the micro adj over what this comes with since I was able to change the angle 3 degrees without issue.

After getting used to things and ensuring with inspection with a 30X loop and good lighting that the apex had no reflection (meaning a still present burr or unapexed edge), after working from 100 grit to 2200 diamond, then ceramics (I have strops on the way), I was able to then move through the other knives with little time spent on inspection after ensuring the first set of stones apexed the edge at whatever grit I started with.  The uniformity of the stones throughout the grit progression, even to ceramics, is unequaled and without that, you would never be able to work through several knives quickly because you would always have to check that you had apexed and deburred at each grit which is very time consuming (I know you fastidious people love to check all this out at each grit, clean everything, check everything each time you change stones or whatever, but the WE was made so that it would reproduce that edge with minimal extra worry after you get it setup and know you are actually creating the edge with your method of “stoning” the blade, but YMMV).

All in all, it is worth the $1000 I put into everything (Gen3 pro, LAA, extra stones and a partridge in a pear tree).

I look forward to being able to strop and stuff as well.

Critique – for low width, low angle knives, the LAA still has limitations and I know you guys have purchased another vise to provide a bit more “free” blade to get the vise out of the way (I think it is the Tormek small angle adapter right?).  I may check into that if I need to get to 10dps on a low width kitchen knife, but I am good for now at 17dps.  I was able to get to 13 dps on my Spyderco PM and since it isn’t used hard, it will last long enough with such a thin edge.

Last critique – I wish the advanced measuring grid came with it.  For almost $1000, this seams like a gimme, but given WE will replace anything without cost if it even looks like it is malfunctioning from bent vices to chipped ceramics, I have no doubt this is a one time payment with little to purchase in the future.

Just sharing my thoughts.

• This topic was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by Pat.
    • This topic was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by Pat.
    3 users thanked author for this post.
    Expidia
    Participant
    • Topics: 47
    • Replies: 339

Thanks for posting your experience with your Gen 3 Pro (I have the same unit).  Your description almost sounds like a chefs assistant who is using the WE Commercial unit and uses it in a commercial kitchen to get their knives through the system fast.  Always interesting to read the techniques of others.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Pat
    Participant

You’re welcome.

May sounds like it, but actually, just trying to sharpen our knives at home that have needed it for a while and seeing that the Gen 3 pro handles the FFG of kitchen knives with such speed, it is easy to get things done vs fumbling with the equipment all day.

I have the advanced grid on order so that will help a lot (again, should come with the unit).

NotSharpEnuff
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 120

Pat,

Glad you like the Gen 3 Pro.  One thing you mentioned above “I don’t see the need for a modification to increase the micro adj over what this comes with since I was able to change the angle 3 degrees without issue.” is not why I use the adjuster mod.

My benefit is not having to use the allen key to make the adjustments and then lock the smaller jam nut on the stanchion.  I can do the micro-adjusting and positive lock down with one hand.  I don’t have to fiddle with the allen wrench or pliers.

Granted, I check my angle with each grit change.  If you set your angle once and go through the grit progression it might not benefit your usage.

Ed K.

Pat
    Participant

Thanks Ed and that makes sense.  I tend to not adj for uneven bevels unless they are really off so I usually set and go.  I use a scope to ensure I am clean to move to the next grit.

I am looking forward to the strops and how they do since I have never used on the WE before…only a free hand strop block.

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Pat, just to share with you and other W.E. users looking to make the move “up” in their systems, as you have….

The older or original “Standard Vise model” that I believe you’re referring to as the “Gen 2”, can be upgraded with the same new Gen 3 Vise clamping system as utilized on your new Gen 3 Pro model.  Depending on which particular model/version you previously used an upgrade is under $400.  That upgrade would give your original “Standard Vise” system all the same ease of use and functionality as the newest Gen 3 Pro, with more user control, versatility and variability to sharpen more different style and types of knives.

For the $1000 you spent you could have included maybe every accessory W.E. has to offer.  And the micro-adjuster Ed is using, too.

You’d have a Pro Pack III (WE130), with more accessories.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Pat
    Participant

Marc,

Interesting thoughts.  Here is my take and I think it, as you mention, is worth diving into a bit for those considering upgrading, or even starting with the Gen 3 PRO with no prior experience with the WE systems.

I did more than upgrade to the new vice.  I added a LAA, additional stones, etc… which got me to the $1000+.  For the Gen 3 PRO, it is about $850 to $900 depending on tax, so I am rather certain I am actually over an additional $1000 outlay.  My choice for the following reasons:

1. The Gen 3 doesn’t need a separate base and comes with a carry case.
    2. It has rod rests vs just dropping them into whatever is behind the unit, possibly knocking other things over or breaking things.
    3. I didn’t have a LAA and so it was time to upgrade for that.
    4. I didn’t have certain stones so it was time to upgrade for that.
    5. I didn’t have strops so again, upgrade time.
    6. I purchased 12″ rods as the rods that come with the unit are simply too short…there is a reason they offer longer rods.  I did the same for my Gen 2 back in the day.
    7. The speed of changing knives and such with the Gen 3 is way and above prior unit configurations.
    8. The ability for the Gen 3 to handle almost any grind complication without needing shims and what not is almost worth the price in and of itself.
    9. The micro adj is actually quickly adjustable vs prior configurations.

I am sure most detail oriented engineers and PhDs can shoot holes in my logic above and restate that an upgraded vice for the Gen 2 would still get me 98% of the way toward what I spent; however, I believe, now having experienced both the Gen 2 and Gen 3 Pro configurations, the Gen 3 is most preferable as an overall package vs modifying the Gen 2 to be like a Gen 3 wannabe.

I, for now, have decided to keep my Gen 2 vice with granite base because it may come in handy…it may be for sale soon though as it has a new vice and granite base, with long 10″ rods, etc… A really good starter system for someone willing to try out WE.

WE knows marketing.  Offer a base package, then you benefit by being able to upgrade or expand your arsenal of sharpening tools as you see fit without having to buy just a package that is a one-size-fits-all.  I get it.  Also, their warranty is unmatched, best I have experienced and is priced into their unit, no doubt.

My main beef is when you put the additional descriptor of PRO on a unit, you think you are getting something that would have what a pro needs to get it done with excellence and repetition.  The advanced grid, at $9, could be easily thrown in and is advertised in every video Clay or Kyle does on the Gen 3 Pro so they make it almost look like it comes with the Gen 3 PRO.

This isn’t a mountain out of a molehill, but just something for Clay to consider in the future for their offerings.  I am not a fanboy…I am a customer and a user and simply want them to know, as well as others.  YMMV.

Again, I appreciate the thoughts Marc,

Pat

Pat, just to share with you and other W.E. users looking to make the move “up” in their systems, as you have…. The older or original “Standard Vise model” that I believe you’re referring to as the “Gen 2”, can be upgraded with the same new Gen 3 Vise clamping system as utilized on your new Gen 3 Pro model. Depending on which particular model/version you previously used an upgrade is under $400. That upgrade would give your original “Standard Vise” system all the same ease of use and functionality as the newest Gen 3 Pro, with more user control, versatility and variability to sharpen more different style and types of knives. For the $1000 you spent you could have included maybe every accessory W.E. has to offer. And the micro-adjuster Ed is using, too. You’d have a Pro Pack III (WE130), with more accessories.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by Pat.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.