Advanced Search

Gen 3 pro vs pro pack 2

Recent Forums Main Forum Gen 3 pro vs pro pack 2

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Wellokaythen
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 9

Hello everyone. I’m about to pull the trigger on the wicked edge after much debate over this and other systems

my only reason for not getting this system before was the cost. I’ve decided to go ahead. So for what I’m wanting it’s between the gen 3 pro or the pro pack 2. Is the hardware on the gen 3 system worth getting over the strops and extra stones offered on the pro pack 2. Both seem like worth systems. I guess my question to wicked edge owners. If you were to spend the money which one would you buy? Thanks!

Gary
    Participant
    • Replies: 16

I had the Gen 2 PP and saw a place for the Gen 3 PP. I added the Gen 3 and use them both for different jobs. I would have to say though that if it came down to one choice, it would be the Gen 2 because it will accommodate wider blades than the Gen 3.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Wellokaythen
    Participant

I read that was an issue for the pass around but clay mentioned that the production model would for up to .16? (A strider Smf would fit) my thickest blades are xm-18, sng, and not like a busse or equivalent. Were you having issues with sng size blades or busse sizes? The floating clamp and easy dial angle setting are what drew me to the gen 3 pro. It’s also built extremely well.

Gary
    Participant
    • Replies: 16

No doubt that the floating clamp and the easy dial are the big plusses for the 3 Pro. They are great! Very convenient for a fast setup on basic sharpening tasks. I have a couple of fixed blades that are .250″+ thick (and some of my friends have some as well) and will not work in the 3 Pro so that is why I prefer the 2 Pro if I had to chose just one.
    If you don’t have any blades that honking wide, you will have no problems with the 3 Pro. I might add that the cabinet base is very nice too. I’m happy I don’t have to make a choice to give up either. From the description of your situation, I think you will be very happy with the 3Pro. Some of the real pros may be along later with different opinions, but that is my take on it. I know you will be pretty much blown away by this awesome piece of equipment once you have it in hand and start learning to use it. Best of luck to you.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 568

I have the gen 2pp. I don’t use the strops much. Lots of time involved for me for the polished edge. I do have and use the 1k diamonds and 2 sets of ceramics. My opinion is that the gen2 is more versatile. I’d like to get the gen3, but we’ll see.

Mike

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

For every day edges you only need up through 600 grit for a hair popping, yet toothy, deep biting edge (I have had about every stone/strop combo out there and do a lot of mirrored edges, and my preferred edge is the 400-600 grit range on broken in diamond stones).

Personally I would go for the PP2 as it can accomodate thicker blades (you will have issues w/ Busse’s in the gen 3) and you also have individual adjustment of the rod arms which is nice for assymetrical bevels on things like chisel ground edges (if you ever do any for friends). You also have the ability to dial in the clamping power and position/tilting more, unlike the gen 3 on which the pressure is “fixed” and you are very limited in tilting the blade.

If it were me I would get the basic Wicked Edge system for $299, then get the ball joint upgrade ($150) and maybe a set of balsa strops w/ some 3-5um compound (this will just help bring out that “extra” sharpness from the 600 grit stones w/ light pressure and few passes – don’t want to remove the teeth from the apex!). Then use it for a while, figure out where you want to go with it and use the extra $ you saved to help you go in that direction. It may be all you ever need 😉 as you can produce absolutely razor sharp edges this way.

Mostly it’s in the technique… learn how to use it and you will be blown away!

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Wellokaythen
    Participant

Some good info. Thank you 🙂

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I bought the Gen 3 upgrade kit last year and like it a lot, but occasionally want to go back to the original vise for one reason or another.  So I bought an extra paperstone base from one of the forum guys and fabricated a new mounting plate (to replace the blue WE base and riser block) out of ABS.  I bought a length of 5/16″ stainless square  stock from McMaster and now I just have to move my arm assemblies and VSTA’s to swap vises and it takes only a minute or so.

Of course, you have to have a place to store the inactive base.  Never too many tools.  Unless you live in an apartment.

Wellokaythen
    Participant

So I finally did it. Pulled the trigger on a pro pack 2. Thank you to everyone who left suggestions! I have to say… This forum was a huge reason as to why I bought the system. It’s good to know that I can find answers to questions I have or may have in the future. I hope to be able to contribute as well when I become proficient.

Sunny

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 427

So I finally did it. Pulled the trigger on a pro pack 2. Thank you to everyone who left suggestions! I have to say… This forum was a huge reason as to why I bought the system. It’s good to know that I can find answers to questions I have or may have in the future. I hope to be able to contribute as well when I become proficient. Sunny

There are some experts on this forum, who are more than willing to help you.. and then there is me… Hardly an expert, but very observant and analytical.

You did well in doing the research first, and choosing the PP II. I did the research too and came to the same conclusion. Now I’m afraid of my knives ( Joke )

Bill aka ET

Wellokaythen
    Participant

Are you in management? (Joke) I too am not an expert, and betting the farm that the wicked edge will be the great equalizer. My quest for perfection gets me to over think things and in the end do more harm than good, while free handing or even sharpmakerâ„¢-ing knife edges. i look forward to that day when I am afraid of my knives!

Sunny

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 427

They say ( I don’t know who ” They ” are )  that a dull knife is more dangerous than a sharp knife, to the user. ON that note.. I sharpened one of our kitchen knives to such a perfect edge for cutting tomatoes, that I never had the experience in cutting a slice of tomato so thin and then slice the next slice with such precision, that I laughed out loud. MY wife (heard me in the other room and ask what I was laughing at ) .

Consider this, I’m 70 years old, and few things surprise me, at my age. I’ve slice about a million tomatoes in my life. ( I’m very experienced in this ). When I used a wicked sharp kitchen knife, it was a brand new experience. ( one that I never experienced before ) I never knew the ease, precision and repeatability of a really sharp knife against the skin  and soft inner flesh of a ripe tomato.  That’s why I laughed, it was a totally new experience to a very old task.

Just some perspective.

Bill aka ET

Bill aka ET

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.