Advanced Search

Gen 3 bladethickness

Recent Forums Main Forum Gen 3 bladethickness

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Ringen
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 3

<table border=”0″ width=”100%” cellspacing=”0″ cellpadding=”5″ bgcolor=”#FFFFFF”>
    <tbody>
    <tr bgcolor=”#FFFFFF”>
    <td>Hi all,

I’ve tried use “contact us” but the mails i’ve tried to sent just pings back, so i ask here instead.
    I’m about to buy my first weps here in Sweden. And I’m trying to figure out if i should go for gen 2 pro pack 2 or a gen 3 pro. My question is, can the gen 3 with the standard jaws, clamp my Fallkniven S1 (About, 4.9-5mm bladethickness) or do i have to buy the bigger jaws for it? If thats the case i will go for the gen 2 pro pack 2, because i can’t afford more than the price of the gen 3 pro as it is.

Greetings
    Erik Ring
    Sweden</td>
    </tr>
    </tbody>
    </table>

Mjcollier
    Participant
    • Topics: 12
    • Replies: 36

I believe that 5mm is 3/16 if that is so then that would fit the standard gen 3 jaws. In fact 3/16 is 4.7625 mm so I’m not sure it would work. <b></b>

Ringen
    Participant

Hi,

Thanks for a quick answer.

I used a inch to metric converter and got the answer that 3/16 is about 4.76mm. So tthats why i’m asking here. I hope someone here have tried to clamp a s1 or another 5mm knife hehe 😛

1 user thanked author for this post.
    378pete
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 19

I believe they have a larger jaw.Which allows 1/4″ spine.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 5

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Also, keep in mind you still have a significant amount of $$$ to put in for angle cube and stones to make the gen 3 equivalent to the gen 2 pro pack.</p>

Ringen
    Participant

I said in the original post that i can’t afford a bigger jaw, thats out of my budget.

Ringen
    Participant

GasDoc, yeah I know about the stones and cube. There is plenty of angle apps that is accurate so I’m gonna use that until i have cash over for a cube 🙂

Mjcollier
    Participant
    • Topics: 12
    • Replies: 36

So I think you have answered your own question. Gen 3 won’t work without accessory jaw. The Gen 2 pro pack 2 is the answer.

The Gen 3 is the one I bought but I do not have thicker knives like yours. I am very happy with the Gen 3 but I probably would have been happy with either version.

Either way if you change your mind after buying the Gen 2 you could get the Gen 3 replacement vice.

Good luck and I truly believe you will be happy either way.

Alan
    Participant
    • Topics: 15
    • Replies: 206

Hey Ringen,

First, welcome to our forum! Good to have you join us!

Let’s run some numbers:

You stated your Fallkniven S1 is about 4.9-5.0mm in blade thickness.

4.9mm = ‪0.192913‬ inches

5.0mm = ‪0.196850‬ inches

The Gen 3 Pro with standard jaws maximum blade width is 3/16 inch = 0.18750 inches.

In either case, your Fallkniven S1 will not fit within the standard jaws of the Gen 3 Pro.

Hope this helps you with your decision.

Alan

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.