Advanced Search

Gen 2 pro pack VS Field & sport pro

Recent Forums Main Forum Getting Started Gen 2 pro pack VS Field & sport pro

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Morten Skipper
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 3

Hi Guys,

Im trying to choose between the two models mentioned. A little help would be very much appreciated.

I am going to use the WE system primarily for kitchen knives (all sizes).

Was thinking about getting gen 3 but find it too expensive (cost 1090$).

Instead I can get the pro pack 2 for 760$ Which includes more accessories (angle cube, leather strops with 1/0,5 micron paste and a 1.4/0.6 ceramic stone set).

Or I could get the Field&sport pro for 360$.

With my intended use what would you pick? And if you pick the Field&sport – would you buy extra stones/strops?

Is it possible to attach the Field&sport pro permanently to a base or do you have to use the included tablemount? (as I understand its the same device as in the pro pack 2 but without the base, but can someone clarify?)

developer (ChrisB)
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 52
    • Replies: 263

Get the pro pack 2 for the use you mentioned. You’ll get lower angle capability plus all th extra things that come with it to allow you to really get a super refined edge on your kitchen knives,

Working to make knife.wickededgeusa.com a great forum!

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

100%, get the PP2. I would only get the Field one if you needed portability.

Austin Nelson
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 25

I would personally go with the pp2 for what you want to do. But that’s just me. I like an extremely refined edge on my knives and at the moment I had the money to get the pp2. If all you want is a more toothier edge that still is extremely precise and cuts very well, you don’t need the pp2. You could get away with the pro pack 1 or even the basic gen 2 sharpener. The biggest thing you get with the pro pack two in my opinion is not the stones and strops, it is the upgraded arms which have no substitute. Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Why not get the basic WEPS or PP1 if you’re also considering the Field & Sport?

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Morten Skipper
    Participant

Thanks for the replies.

The reason im only considering the mentioned pp2 and the field and sport is because that is what the retailer has in stock. I live in Denmark where there is no WE retailer and has to buy it through my friend in sweden. If I buy from germany the cost goes up almost 50%!!

The retailer has the field and sport pro on sale, and as I understood, the device was similar to the pp2 and only differed in accessories and lack of base (can anyone clearify?). The difference in price would make it possible for me to buy a few of the most needed accessories and still save money.

So it all comes down to a question of “value for money”.

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

Does WE ship all over the world? I don’t know about taxes if it ships from the US.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Does WE ship all over the world? I don’t know about taxes if it ships from the US.

For taxes add about 33%. And don’t forget to add shipping costs as well. :angry: 🙁

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Morten Skipper
    Participant

For taxes add about 33%. And don’t forget to add shipping costs as well. :angry: 🙁

Mark is right.. add one third to the price in danish customs and taxes if you chose to import from US… + shipping 🙁

Could anyone explain if the device in Field&sport is similar to the one in the pp2 except for the base? And cant i attach it to my own base if I want to without much fuss?

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Mark is right.. add one third to the price in danish customs and taxes if you chose to import from US… + shipping 🙁

Could anyone explain if the device in Field&sport is similar to the one in the pp2 except for the base? And cant i attach it to my own base if I want to without much fuss?[/quote]

The Field and Sport Pro uses the same hardware and degree bar for angle control that the PP2 uses, so you’ll have the ball joints and wider angle range. The vise is a little different looking but works in exactly the same way. The big difference is that the F&S Pro doesn’t use a base but rather a square of aluminum and a C-clamp so you can clamp it to a flat surface. Here’s a picture:

And here’s the product link: https://www.wickededgeusa.com/product/wicked-edge-field-and-sport/%5B/url%5D

You’ll need to clarify from your dealer/friend whether this is the older version of the F&S Pro or the new one with the Gen 3 Clamp. I’m assuming it’s the older one that’s shown in the picture above. The only difference is that the one your friend is talking about most likely includes the 800/1000 grit stones.

Attachments:

-Clay

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.