Advanced Search

Geared \"degree bar\"?

Recent Forums Main Forum Geared \"degree bar\"?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    abbazaba
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 2

Has it ever been considered to use a gear rack for the degree bar?  I find the “divots” and the thumb screw setup to be unreliable and not very secure.  I think a geared bar with spur gears would be a fantastic improvement.   Anyone done this before?

2 users thanked author for this post.
    wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

We’ve definitely thought about it a lot.

-Clay

1 user thanked author for this post.
    abbazaba
    Participant

Thank Clay.  I hope to be able to purchase it as an upgrade some day.

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

abbazaba, welcome to the Wicked Edge Forum, could you share with us which model WEPS you’re finding the thumb-screw set-up unreliable?

I utilize two screws on opposite sides of both the “L” bracket adjustment and the micro adjustment screw on my earlier model WE130

locking-screws

Gen-2-Locking-Screws

Maybe you can utilize a similar type modification to give you a more secure adjustment.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Attachments:
    abbazaba
    Participant

I’m using an upgraded base model with the WE120UP (ball joints and collars) and now also the WE130UP (degree bar, arms, and clamp).  I have the same shock boots over the ball joints like you thanks to this forum.  It works ok if I check regularly to make sure it’s tight, I was just thinking that a gear system would be much better and more user friendly.

Best picture I could find in the archive that included the part in question:

• This reply was modified 6 years ago by abbazaba.
    • This reply was modified 6 years ago by abbazaba.
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

You might consider the opposite side pair of locking screws.  I no longer have an issue with unsecure positioning.  I utilized your top metal thumb screw, down to the flat  side of the square angle bar and now use two opposing nylon thumb screws on the ball joint screws.  This works well for me because the nylon won’t bugger the threads of the ball joint screws. The opposing force keeps everything nice and tight.  I did cut the 10/32 nylon screws shorter and cleaned the cut end with sand paper so they didn’t stick out too far.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Bill Kirkley
    Participant
    • Topics: 19
    • Replies: 97

Here is another design option. Mount the block on a threaded rod with a flat side.

7EE39186-DBC7-44B2-9A6D-153D45A959F4

Attachments:
    1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.