Advanced Search

Further on Convex Edges

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Further on Convex Edges

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

I just tried out different methods for creating a convex edge more extensively and made more and better pictures of it. You can read all about it and see the pictures on my new blog[/url].

My conclusion: all methods work, but the method of setting edges from most acute one to least acute one removes most material and takes the longest. I prefer the method Clay has shown in some videos: a full edge at the lowest angle (e.g, 16 degrees), followed by a full edge at the highest angle bevel (e.g., 22 degrees), followed by the intermediate bevels (e.g., 20 and 18 degrees), followed by stropping.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant
    • Topics: 64
    • Replies: 687

I just put a nice convex shoulder on my Chambriard Le Trappeur gentleman’s knife and added a 16.5 degree micro bevel…the paper slices like it is being cut by a laser. The paper appears to literally disappear in front of the approaching edge with almost nil pressure…the molecules seem to jump out of the way on their own. LOL! I shaved some hair off my face with no pull whatsoever…scary doing that…hat off to Tom who shaved his whole face with a cleaver.
    Now that is my kind of edge! I used all the diamond paddles plus the ceramic hones and then the leather strops with diamond pastes.
    Next I will try this doing it all with the Naniwa Chosera water stones. I can’t picture anything much sharper than this but we shall see.

Leo

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

I just put a nice convex shoulder on my Chambriard Le Trappeur gentleman’s knife and added a 16.5 degree micro bevel…the paper slices like it is being cut by a laser. The paper appears to literally disappear in front of the approaching edge with almost nil pressure…the molecules seem to jump out of the way on their own. LOL! I shaved some hair off my face with no pull whatsoever…scary doing that…hat off to Tom who shaved his whole face with a cleaver.
    Now that is my kind of edge! I used all the diamond paddles plus the ceramic hones and then the leather strops with diamond pastes.
    Next I will try this doing it all with the Naniwa Chosera water stones. I can’t picture anything much sharper than this but we shall see.

Leo

Awesome Leo, I’d love to see a picture if you get around to it.

-Clay

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Love that! I still plan on shaving my face with my Fallkniven A1 :woohoo:.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant
    • Topics: 64
    • Replies: 687

Sorry Clay,but I don’t have a microscope. I suppose I could try a video showing the knife cutting paper in sweeping curves and maybe shaving some hair, but the edge would not show well. Perhaps I will try to chronicle the next edge with the Chosera stones with a video or series of stills. I shall try that.
    Thanks to you for confirming that a convex edge with a small micro bevel is a good way to go.

Leo 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.