Advanced Search

Friends ZT

Recent Forums Main Forum Knife Photos Friends ZT

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    NotSharpEnuff
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 120

Haven’t been doing much sharpening lately so I thought I would post some pics of a friends ZT knife.  Forgot the model but it really is a “Beast” of a knife.

Factory edge wasn’t great as you can see from the BESS score and goniometer.

I profiled it to 18DPS up to 1500 diamond, and then put a 800 grit micro bevel at 20 DPS.

BESS scores much better and it had a pretty good toothy edge.

Ed K.

• This topic was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by NotSharpEnuff. Reason: typo
    Attachments:
    3 users thanked author for this post.
    NotSharpEnuff
    Participant

Friends ZT part II

When I took the 122219 pic, I realized I forgot to tape the pivot area.

I got the vacuum out and taped it up before I started the 200 grit stone.

Attachments:
    2 users thanked author for this post.
    NotSharpEnuff
    Participant

Friends ZT – last pic!

Attachments:
    4 users thanked author for this post.
    000Robert
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 406

Friends ZT part II When I took the 122219 pic, I realized I forgot to tape the pivot area. I got the vacuum out and taped it up before I started the 200 grit stone.

Cool! I have my stones sitting exactly like you do when I measure the angles. I also tape my clamp up with painters tape.

Lay
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 27

Haven’t been doing much sharpening lately so I thought I would post some pics of a friends ZT knife. Forgot the model but it really is a “Beast” of a knife

Looks like some variant of the ZT 562. I have the ZT 562cf. It is a great knife but some how I’m not a big fan of the flipper tab knives.

Modernflame
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 35

I’m fascinated by what I’m seeing. Two jigs in series? Is this for longer knives and tools?

NotSharpEnuff
    Participant

@Lay, I’ve sent a text to find out what model he bought.  I do remember him saying that he ordered it with “custom” scales.  I’ll know more later.  I’m also not a fan of the flipper style or EDC’s with liner locks.

@Modernflame, that sharpener is what I call the “Big Rig.”  Totally the idea and implementation of forum member MarcH.  I don’t remember exactly the reason he shared the idea with me, but I knew I wanted one.  At that time, I was barter sharpening for a local butcher – I got brisket and sausage he got a wicked edge.  The problem I faced was the flex in his knives.  I had to work a lot longer and harder to get the sharp edge from heel to tip – even then my edges were inconsistent along the blade.  I’ve added some pics of his knives.

Marc agreed to build me one but we had one obstacle – how to mount the vise on the roller bearings.  Long story short, I invested in a 3D printer and with Marc’s help we engineered the mount over several months.   If you look closely at the 121208 pic in my last post, you can see the blue mount with “Eddos Edge” on the front.  It took me over three months to learn how to model objects for 3D printing.  Here’s a tip of the hat to forum member Airscapes.  Doug can take an idea and have a test print in a day or two.  Light years ahead of my abilities.

The last pic is the Big Rig going mobile to a BBQ competition here in Texas.  Yes, I work for food – especially BBQ!

EDIT: @Lay, the model is a ZT 0562 he purchased from usamadeblade.com  FYI, I have no affiliation with ANY commercial enterprise/website.

https://www.usamadeblade.com/searchquick-submit.sc?keywords=zt+0562

Ed K.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by NotSharpEnuff. Reason: Added ZT info
    Attachments:
    6 users thanked author for this post.
    Modernflame
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 35

Guys, this is really next level thinking and engineering. Way beyond my skill level. My first thought would be to find a way to use Tormek long knife jig to stabilize some of those longer blades, but your solution is far better because it will allow the stones to follow the existing profile.

Another thought. I use the KME, Tormek T8, and now the Wicked Edge gen 3. They all have advantages and disadvantages. For that type of flexible butcher knife, I would just use the Tormek with the long knife jig. Take it to the 4000 grit water stone then free hand strop it on a progression of diamond paste.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by Modernflame.
    4 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.