Advanced Search

First WE, Ultimate WE

Recent Forums Main Forum First WE, Ultimate WE

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Drew
    Participant
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 72

Dear floyd,

Ooo, I had never seen one. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Once I get my feet wet, that looks like a definite to investigate.

How do you keep from heating out the temper? Little by little, or can it handle wet knives?

1 user thanked author for this post.
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

All thru this discussion I’ve been wondering “Will Drew have access to 120 VAC?”  If so, then there are quite a few options to handle the occasional odd-ball knife.  Pinkfloyd’s suggestion of the Work Sharp rig is a good one.  Much faster than the Spyderco SharpMaker.  Also, the SharpMaker relies on the application of force with one hand and very long blades like your Kukri will tire your hand and arm pretty quickly.  I used a Sharpmaker for quite a few years before buying the WEPS and I think the Work Sharp produces a sharper edge in much less time and with less effort.

I’m not necessarily recommending it, but for the record, there is a WE vise which can be set up to handle a 1/2″-thick blade.  The vise shown on this web site for the WE-100 and WE-120 will expand to handle thick blades simply by adding two longer clamping screws.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Pinkfloyd
    Participant
    • Topics: 22
    • Replies: 208

Drew,

Have never seen anyone use it wet, don’t think it would be a good idea. The rpm is low when sharpening so not much heat buildup.

Check YouTube for demo on its use, with the Blade Grinding attachment

sksharp
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 408

Drew with your Nomadic life style I would think the the WE GO would do everything you want, be very portable and everything that will work with other systems will work with the GO. It sets up in a couple of minutes and stores in a very small space, a great space saver and would save you several hundred as well. I think this sharpener is designed with you in mind! Thru 1500 diamond stones, two or three sets of strops, Low angle adapter and the tormek small knife adapter would give you what you want. If you have a patch of chamois you should have everything to put edges on knives that very few could.

sksharp
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 408

Need to add that if you order the GO tell them you want the 100/200 stones instead of the 200/600 that is standard, then you can purchase the rest 400 thru 1500. A longer set of rods will be helpful with the LAA. and tormek SKA. If you think you will have use for the Scissor attachment, I would encourage that as well.

I still think the best bang for the buck is the PP3 but to be honest my second choice would be the GO!

Drew
    Participant
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 72

sksharp:

Apologies for the long delay. I took a trip to several states to say goodbye to friends and family.

I like the portable nature of the GO, however, as you said, it would seem the best bang for one’s buck lays in the PP3. I’m planning on removing the back seats and flooring in the rear of the 4runner, and creating a slide-out cargo compartment. Plenty space for a good sharpening case.

Btw, I took a close look at people’s kitchen knives while I was out and about. Uneven bevels, chipping, and basic, functional edges. I really don’t know if people have been exposed to true keenness before. Anyone carry example knives showing each grit and stage available?

How do you all handle the ethics of providing the public pieces of steel sharpened beyond the comprehension of most folks? Do you warn them, or have them sign a waiver? If what I think will happen happens, I’ll have to sit down with customers and have the “this’ll hurt you bad, brah, for serious” talk.

Real good to be back, guys. Missed you all.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I use the the “Caution Sharp Knife” sleeves for all the knives I return to their owners.  A number of owners have asked me for extra sleeves, so they can protect all of their knives.  I bought an assortment pack from USAKnifeMaker.Com.  Here’s the link:

https://usaknifemaker.com/knife-sleeves-18-length-variety-pack-1-1-4-1-75-and-2-5-sleeves.html

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

I agree with you that most people have never experienced a sharp knife except perhaps a box knife. I don’t know if it would be necessary to have them sign a waiver, but reminding them of the dangers of a knife may be in order. I like Tom’s idea with the knife sleeves. They should help protect the knife as well as the user.

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

I often demonstrate the sharpened knife’s edge keenness with newspaper when I return a sharpened knife to the owner.  I will give it to the owner to try for themselves so they have an idea just how the sharp knife feels.  That helps them to understand just what they’ll be using.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.